Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: e-mail tracker

Does anyone know of a program for back-tracking an
    e-mail to its senders address? Also I was told you can "ping" an e-mail and get a senders address. Is this true, and how would you do it.

Arnold

Does anyone know of a program for back-tracking an
    e-mail to its senders address? Also I was told you can "ping" an e-mail and get a senders address. Is this true, and how would you do it.

Arnold

Hi Arnold,

I am not an absolute expert in this matter, so somebody might still come up with another solution, but:

* E-Mail is sent via an SMTP-server and received via a POP (or IMAP) server.

* The sender/receiver is only known to your provider (or the other person's provider. You can ping the sender's SMTP-server but you will if anything get the address of this very mailserver. And it's got nothing to do with the sender.
    Only the provider knows that funnyname@thisserver.com will be received by John Doe (just for an example)
    As for Europe, this information is also kept strictly confidential by the provider and may only be revealed in a lawsuit.

Especially if the address is coming from a freemailer (Hotmail ...) you have more or less no chance of finding out the user's true identity.