Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to generate table of contents (TOC)?

Good evening all. I am wondering if it is possible to generate a table of contents (TOC) within Photo & Graphic Designer 6? I am thinking of a feature that works similar to Microsoft Word's TOC function.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to apply something that would mark a heading according to its level, and then towards the end of my work, generate the TOC, which would be based on marked text.

Thanks

Default Re: How to generate table of contents (TOC)?

Welcome to TalkGraphics Russell

Not automatically I'm afraid. You could create one manually using tabs. More work but an excellent learning experience.

Though I think that Xara is one of the best programs on the market, I also miss the option to create something like an Index / TOC.
    I am in the process of creating a book and my first thought was to use Xara... However, I also want to create a TOC and an Index of words (created automatically) used in the book, which is not possible using Xara, so I have decided to use Adobe InDesign instead... It's not my first choice of course, but Xara definitely misses these options, which should be general available in any DTP software...
    And... (of the record)... why on earth have they changed the name from Xtreme to Photo & Graphic designer

You can copy and paste a table directly from windows if that is a help. It will import and you will be if you want to import it as a Bitmap or Metafile, choose metafile and then resize it for it imports in very large. To be honest you are asking a vector drawing programme to act as a DTP programme and if I were in your shoes I would pick and use something like Serif's PagePlus and you can now get version 10 which imports and exports PDF's.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I now that Xara is a vector drawing program, but the large DTP programs also use vector drawing techniques... Xara also mentions on its website that Xara Photo & Graphics Designer is "A single application for all types of creative work, whether it's vector drawings, DTP, photo composition, web graphics or Flash animation".
    It surely is one of the best (I think) programs for creating creative content, but as it became possible (I think with version 5) to create multi-page publications, I thought that things like automatic page numbering and creating a TOC would be included also... If so, the program would be definitely the best DTP software around...

It could happen. Every new version of Xara, Xara X, Xara Xtreme, etc. has had some new DTP features. And then PDF support. So it would be logical to expect something like page numbering and TOC.

I have to say, this is only a guess. I have absolutely no information about this.