Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Client Changeable Calendar

I have a client that wants me to add a calendar to his web site that he would be able to change from his home or office. It must be relatively easy to modify and maintain. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. It must also have a very professional appearance so I'm not interested in using Google calendar.
    Last edited by CurlyInKC; 22 November 2010 at 01:10 PM.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: Client Changeable Calendar

I'm not in a place that I can test this right now, but the last time that I checked you could save an Outlook calendar to a web page. If you can save it to a web page you can use a place holder to link to it. That should solve the easy to modify and maintain requirements, and I would think the professional appearance but you would have to test that for yourself.

Hope that helps,
    Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

I've found Google calendar to work quite well, and it's customizable to size, color, etc. On this site http://truenorthcaptain.com/ I put it in a placeholder on a layer so it comes up on top of every page when the Calendar button is clicked.

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    I'm not in a place that I can test this right now, but the last time that I checked you could save an Outlook calendar to a web page.
    I tried this and it does create a page of html but the IE browser didn't like the layout and gave me a security warning about the page. Also, once this was done it would have to be uploaded to the site. That's one of the steps I'm trying to eliminate for this client. Thanks for your reply Eric, I appreciate the thoughts.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    I've found Google calendar to work quite well, and it's customizable to size, color, etc. On this site http://truenorthcaptain.com/ I put it in a placeholder on a layer so it comes up on top of every page when the Calendar button is clicked.
    This works very well for that site, I must say. I currently use Google calendar for my own site and it works well. But for this client I need something that gives more options for configuration, as well as security. Some entries to the calendar public so everyone can see them and some of them private that only my client will see. Plus there are some additional concerns.

I have found a calendar, file & photo option all in one place that I believe is going to serve my needs. It is Keep And Share at www.keepandshare.com. They have 3 levels of service available, including a NICE, very configurable FREE Calendar.

Thanks for the input.
    Steve

Hadn't seen keep and share yet. Seems ok - as with everything, some sites look better than others. It says the free version is ad supported though. I'll need to try it out, as I have a client for whom I need to integrate a calendar in this manner on their existing site (traditional html/css).

Take a look also at easyphpcalendar.com - this one costs about $20, with various levels of branding removal coming at additional cost - I think the max is $50. this is a calendar for use on a single domain for that cost. Thi calendar has features similar to keepandshare - month view and list view, though it doesn't have the scroling day view. It's pretty flexible for styling through CSS if you are adept at that. The php code itself is squashed and encrypted, so you can't modify it at a code level, but if you take a look at a few of the sites that use the calendar, you can see how it can be adapted.

Hope that helps.