Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting external flash .swf to to a page of a multi page site

Hi,

I just followed the excellent tutor of how to import an external flash file containing dependent files into the Xara project and exporting it to html. However, the tutor only dealt with a one page site. How do you export just the one page in a multi page site? When I export to the folder containing all the dependent files, the link from the Navigation bar to that page does not show the flash and it also changes my home page (which contains another flash without dependent files), showing the same flash.

I'm sure I'm missing a simple step, but I can't figure out which one.

Thanks

Default Re: Exporting external flash .swf to to a page of a multi page site

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Xara does not export a single page unless your website only has one page.

Xara places all images, flash files, style sheets, java scripts, etc. in a separate folder and directs the HTML code to this folder for resources.

I am not quite clear on what your question is. If you are using different flash animations on your site then each should appear when you publish your site. But make sure that each flash animation is either on the base layer (Layer 1), or if you place the flash file on a new layer, that you link to that layer.

If you are working with a pre-designed template, and your buttons are linking to the Xara.com website, there is an invisible rectangle behind the button bar that links to xara.com. Switch to outline view (Window > Quality > Outlines) and locate and delete that nettlesome rectangle)

I hope that something here is of use.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the fast response. As a comment not related to my question I'd like to complement the moderators and knowledgeable members for an excellent forum. Especially for us newbies to Xara, groping for answers to our numerous questions. Thanks!

I figured, my question was not specific enough. I will try to get closer to it. This is the YouTube video that I followed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqbh...eature=related (hope this hyperlink works) When I follow it and build a one page site it works just like demonstrated. However, I want to add this flash to a place holder on a page of my multi page site. The site has one menu bar with one button linking to that page. I have the strong feeling (found a couple of posts dealing with it) that is has something to do with support folders, but am at a total loss as to how it all works. I find the .swf file in the index_htm_files folder after exporting the site. I put the dependent files for the external flash into a separate folder. How do they get into the proper support folder?

Hope that explains my questions a little clearer.

Thank you
    Dirk

Last edited by zaphodeist; 22 November 2010 at 07:43 PM.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Hi John, you guys are something!!!

I have downloaded and installed Picassa. Good program for a Photographer and I will use it, I'm sure. However, I ran into the same problem as with the program I'm using, Monoslideshow (You might want to have a look at it; I like it for it's progammability. Here is one of my samples: http://okvts.com/rosie/hyland13900-202 ) Either slideshow can be inserted ones into the website, but when you add another one, the xml files run into problems. gallery.xml in Picassa and monoslideshow.xml can not be renamed. At least as far as I know. And each one contains all the show info. Have you figured out a way around it to make it possible to add multiple shows into the same site? I will contact Monoslideshow and find out how to individually rename the files.

I have read up on the helpfiles of Designer Pro 6 in regards to inserting swf files. The talk about saving the project as .web files? I don't quite get it.

Thanks again for your help
    Dirk

The .web extension indicates a file made in Xara Web Designer - the native file format - which, confusingly, is basically the same as the .xar you get one saving in Xara Designer Pro You can open up a .web in XDP but opening a .xar in XWD may not include everything.

You can create a separate one page site for each gallery and link directly or you can use an iframe and open those pages in there.
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Wow, that .web thing makes sense.

So does the creation of a separate one page site just for the second display and linking to it. However, I will have to think about all the other links. They would have to have all their link properties adjusted to link back to the original site, where all the other pages are?

Hopefully I'll figure it out...

BTW, how do you get ahold of the smilies? Do you have to type them, like this (:

Thanks again John.
    Dirk

When you've clicked on 'reply to thread' click on 'go advanced' at the bottom right.

Wow, there is a whole new world out there... Thanks John.

I think I have given up on xml based slide shows. However, I did some research and found a solution. I bought a program called Wondershare Flash Gallery Factory Deluxe. I creates flash slideshows without xml. Exactly what I needed. It's even friendly enough for a user like me. Here is a site that I'm working on: http://photomagical.com I am running into another problen with layers disappering when clicked on. I will put a separate post on just for that.

Thanks again
    Dirk