Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Domain ownership contract

I have a client who want a "contract" basicly stating that he owns the rights to his domain name. I purchased the domain and it is hosted on my server. Obviously the who is will show me as owner. I have no problem with something verifying him as owner or signing over the rights to the domain to him, but I have no idea how make up a "contract" or where to go to look for a template for one.

Default Re: Domain ownership contract

hi

can you not register yourself as the technical contact and your client as the domain owner?.

Quote Originally Posted by bb2 View Post
    hi

can you not register yourself as the technical contact and your client as the domain owner?.
    Yes, what he said.

Failing that you don't need a fancy contract, just something in writing saying it's his and what happens in the event you stop diong business together.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Jim

When you register a domain name you have several areas of registrant information, Registrant Contact, Auxiliary Billing Contact, Administration Contact, and Technical Contact. I would make your client both the Registrant and the Auxiliary Billing Contact. You need to be Administration Contact in case you need access to the site and have lost your log on information or if your client wants you to transfer the domain name to another host. And you should be Technical Contact as well.

You can show your client screen captures of the registration information as his proof that the domain name is his. But your client needs to understand that he is only renting the domain name. He does not own it. If he fails to renew the domain name before it expires he looses all claim to the domain name until it comes out of the 30 day period that follows a domain name that is not renewed.

Best to let the client be responsible for renewing and paying the registration fee. Then if he fails to renew the domain name, it is not your fault.

Just have the client sign up at the registrar of their choice and have them purchase a domain transfer, and let the domain be transferred to them where they can manage it themselves if they don't trust you.

I manage domains for a lot of my clients, some I have only me as the all the contact information and others they are listed as the registrant and me for the rest of the contacts. I've never been asked for any contract or provide any proof of ownership, even some I manage for a celebrity.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Some clients get so caught up in this whole 'the domain is mine' thing, even when you try and explain that they are only renting it. I always get them to register the domain name so that there are no worries, I know of one designer who registered the domain name to himself but the payment details where the customers, and after 2 years contacted the customer a number of times that renewal was due, anyway to cut a long story short the customer never got back and lost the domain name and blamed the designer and even threatened to take the designer to court, fortunately their legal guy advised them against it. Best to let them register it, just think of it as a shop that needs renting, let the customer rent it and you just decorate it.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk