Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gel 3

Considering what Mac has done with their gels, could we use Xara to create a gel site? Buttons (based on the gel caps), navbars and the works???
    How about a few of you put all of these parts together into a site design?

T
    While Mac is cool, Xara is cooler [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Considering what Mac has done with their gels, could we use Xara to create a gel site? Buttons (based on the gel caps), navbars and the works???
    How about a few of you put all of these parts together into a site design?

T
    While Mac is cool, Xara is cooler [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Actually, to make things a bit easier and shorten the design time. If you gel creators from the previous posts are willing, perhaps you can include your.xar files in this section for all to play with in putting an entire site (home page) together.

We already have some great gel caps out there. Wonderful text effects, and even the tabs are gelled (xhoot, even the apple logo has been done, compliments of Gary)

T

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Actually, to make things a bit easier and shorten the design time. If you gel creators from the previous posts are willing, perhaps you can include your.xar files in this section for all to play with in putting an entire site (home page) together. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gosh, Thomas. Mac users tend not to want to work too hard. Giving them the actual XAR files would let them use the effect without the joy of learning how to do something in a vector application that they could only accomplish in Photoshop. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Ummm, not my meaning, Gary. What I'm working at is sort of a GROUP EFFORT here within the forums. A bit like how Ivan creates yet another amazing brush stroke and shares the file here for all to use. A user can grab it and personalize it to fit their tastes.

It's basically what I'm driving at here. Let's take a few of these gels, modify 'em to our own tastes, lay out a page, and post it for peer review.

Example, I do a page and post it on the forum, Ross comes back and says "that's great, Thomas!! But how about trying something like ....."

And then you, Gary will throw in your opinion, Egg might post his page example, Sean will post his examples. Another person may take any one of our examples and modify to their tastes and then post it as well.

And then of course, Klaus comes back and tells us its all worthless and takes far too much time in X. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Just kidding Klaus, we love your input.

We honestly have some excellent artwork and objects that get posted within the forums. Let's have some fun trying to put them together into a page.

T

Thomas

What bothers me about the Gel look, is even though I think we've matched and taken the look a few steps beyond, it's still copying another designers creation. And IMHO a very handsome and effect creation at that.

But we have enough talent and imagination in this forum to go beyond what Apple has done so well and come up with a button design that is unique to Xara.

In fact, we should be able to come up with something that is so totally awesome that Apple will have second thoughts about using their gel design, eh?

What say you Xarans? Are we up for the ultimate challenge?

Here's the first entry. I'm sure you guys can do better than this!

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on March 30, 2001 at 08:18 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	killer_button.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	6476  

Thomas: "And then of course, Klaus comes back and tells us its all worthless and takes far too much time in X."

My fellow Xartists need *someone* to tell them that XaraX isn't quite yet The Second Coming of Xhrist, and that VAST improvements to the app are still needed.

But why me, O Lord?

:-)

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In fact, we should be able to come up with something that is so totally awesome that Apple will have second thoughts about using their gel design, eh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, I dont think that Apple will change for quite some time. Apple is using these gel like buttons as part of the interface for their new OS X. The interface is called Aqua and everything in the OS uses these...buttons, sliders, controls everywhere...even the ap windows have transparency to them. So I dont think they will stop using them. It is part of their identity.

But that is also why I agree with you...do something different than Apples buttons. Something unique. (besides, there are alot of other people that are trying to copy the effects too...not just Xaramites

Beth

PS: I know you are kidding around, I just wanted people to realize where this Aqua thing came from. It came from a brand spankin new OS. And I for one am totally stoked about (will be amazing as soon as some of the hardware issue/drivers are ironed out)

Thomas, maybe Xara might have an easier time moving over to this OS. It is based on Unix and uses an open archiecture to help the developers develop. The code is available on their website and allow it to be compliled into different forms. In fact the code even ships with the OS for computer geeks to mess around with. Xara could break into a totally new market. Not a huge one as far as percentages go...but most of the users are graphics people. And if you have ever tried node editing in Illustrator, you would know why there is a need for Xara to cross the OS boundaries. (just a thought)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Gary, I dont think that Apple will change for quite some time. Apple is using these gel like buttons as part of the interface for their new OS X. The interface is called Aqua and everything in the OS uses these...buttons, sliders, controls everywhere...even the ap windows have transparency to them. So I dont think they will stop using them. It is part of their identity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew that, Beth.

And of course Apple is not going to change their interface. I was just trying to make a point. We have as much talent, probably more, in this conference as Apple has in their design department. And that rather than show how well we can copy their designs I thought we could challenge ourselves to see what we can come up with that will make aqua look like a drowned rat [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Uh-oh! Did I say that?!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I say, let Xara Ltd themselves make the first move on this... that way we'll all have something else to copy! hahahaa [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

PS: j/k