Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web publishing, sub folders-this seems to be a new problem

Hi Everyone.

My friend is using "Web designer" and has built a site. When she publishes the site, a subfolder (index_html_files) is created and all the files for the site are put into the index_html_files folder... ...including all the html files for the site. Nothing in the root.

Here is where it gets weirder.

She sends me the .web file, I open it in Xara DESIGNER PRO, and it publishes perfectly.

We've gone through all the settings,one by one, and to the best of my knowledge our programs are set up the same.

How do I help her publish the files so the html files go to the root and everything else goes to the "index_html_files" sub folder?

Thanks all!

Dan

Default Re: Web publishing, sub folders-this seems to be a new problem

Welcome to TalkGraphics Dan

That is bizarre. The HTML files normally publish to the root and the images, scripts, style sheets etc. go into the index_html_folder.

When you publish the site does the same thing happen?

Now if you publish to a folder on your desktop, and then upload the files via FTP to the web host, the files will all be inside the folder to which you published them, but you don't upload the folder that you published to, just the index.html, associated html files and the index_html_folder.

We need more info here.

Now if you publish to a folder on your desktop, and then upload the files via FTP to the web host, the files will all be inside the folder to which you published them, but you don't upload the folder that you published to, just the index.html, associated html files and the index_html_folder
    Hi,
    Thanks for the quick response!

I think you are asking whether I publish to a folder on my desktop or not prior to publishing. We are using the internal ftp program to publish directly to the server.

The HTML files normally publish to the root and the images, scripts, style sheets etc. go into the index_html_folder.

When you publish the site does the same thing happen?
    No, All the files go into the index_html_folder

Does this help?

Dan
    Last edited by fdog; 20 November 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: forgot to add some info

I have not seen this happen before, however I have sometimes had swf files end up in the root directory and sometimes in the index files folder, for now just use the hosting company's file manager to move the htm files to the root directory or use filezilla.

Kash

Does the site display properly?

It doesn't work from the root.

I will have to wait until tomorrow when I can have her republish the site from Web Designer.

I never bothered checking from the subfolder, because I knew this wasn't correct.

I'' be back tomorrow.

We'll be here.

It might be worth clearing everything out and republishing fresh. And make sure that she is publishing to the correct directory or sub directory on the web hosts site. Many web hosts want web site content published to a sub directory such as public_html or htdocs, etc.

Thanks.

It might be worth clearing everything out and republishing fresh.
    This is what I (we) am doing every time we'd publish.

Dan

She hasn't listed the index_html_files folder in the subfolder(optional) section of the web properties dialogue by any chance? That would do it probably
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I've been having an issue like this for some time. currently the site is a complete mess file wise but it works. i have the root folder which does contain my html files, a sub folder called index2_htm_files (which is normal) but in addition to the images it also has copies of the html pages another index2_htm_files sub folder and a index_htm_files subfolder. inside the second index2_htm_files is another index_htm_files and more copies of the sites htm, png, etc files and that index_htm_files folder is empty. the index_htm_files folder under the first index2_htm_files folder also contains a bunch of htm pngs etc.

site works and it works from root, i once tried deleting one of the extra folders and things broke so im uploading like 5x the data to put it on the server. havent takin the time to try and find a way to clean all of this up yet, if theres a simple way let me know. 5x the size is pretty darn big cause i have several flash headers and video's in the site.

issue started after a crash of web designer. seemed to get compounded when i renamed the main page.