Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am having trouble with laying out a user interface on a web site I'm working on. The graphics have an inner curve on the inside left creating a frame effect. I am having trouble lining up the pieces of the graphic in frames so that the actual content can appear in a frame in the center of the page and the inner corners still line up to create that curve. Does this make any sense? I've done this before on other projects but I'm still not getting it on this one.

It's not like just slicing graphics and laying them out in a table, that's easy. But lining them up in the frames does not seem to be working. Here's the url for the test pages: http://www.angel-designs.com/donrichard/
    I'd appreciate any input and keep in mind this is a very rough draft. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jill
    IP

Hi Jill ...

Okay first in your "main" frameset you have specified your rows to be "152" but splash-top.gif is only "142". So either you have to make that larger or put the splash_top into a table and add a cell to the top.

I played around and this is what I came up with.

For your main.htm frameset :
    For your top.htm :

Hope that helps!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Jen:

Thanks. I tried this and it now gives me a gap at the top and the inner corner still does not align. I know it's possible because I've done it before. I thought it might be the size of the graphic but that shouldn't matter overall. I just have to figure out how to make it fit. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] I appreciate the input!

Jill
    IP

Hi Jill ...

Well if the bgcolor is the same as your graphic (the red), it wouldn't be too evident but the easiest way to make sure you don't get any spacing is to use the graphics as a background image.

You may have to change where the frames start and stop so you get a good clean line (not in the middle of a shadow, for example)

If you need further explanation or demonstration, just give me a shout.

Good luck.

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

I took your advice, Jen, and recut the graphic at a different point. As my daughter would say, cinchy! Yeesh and to think of all the hours I spent. <smacking head against monitor!!>

Any ideas on how to get the moire out of the top left graphic? or is that a question for another forum?

Jill
    IP

Glad to hear it worked for you Jill!

Re: the graphic - caused by the "lossiness" of jpgs. You could try upping the percentage or even try saving as a .gif. Sometimes you can reduce the number of colours and still get decent quality/size ratio on something that should be saved as a jpg. As it is in a framed site and only loads once you might get away with a slightly larger file size as well.

Good luck!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP