Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any iPad users out there?

Anybody own an iPad?

I'm trying to create an ePub of stereograms for the iPad and would love to make the book landscape instead of portrait. But as I understand it, when you rotate the iPad from vertical to horizontal, the page splits into a two page spread.

Is there any way to override this?

Default Re: Any iPad users out there?

Hi,
    Darn I thought I'd learn something, but nobody has replied to this thread.
    Did you figure it out Gary?
    JimM

Short of programming, which I am ill equipped to do, it will have to be portrait mode.

Why not just rotate your SG image 90 degrees ?... The iPad doesn't know

When you rotate the iPad it changes to two facing pages which would put a gutter in the center of the stereogram.

Sorry, I missed that point in your OP.
    I see - so the app which displays your images doesn't have any display mode control?

I have a friend who owns an iPad. I'll point him to this thread and ask if he can help.

Of course, you could always buy an iPad yourself, if it looks likely to be a profitable gig

Hey Gary,

I can test it for you but what ePub reader should I be using?

Each reader has its own features / functions.

I can install the app today and test it for you if you like.

I have Amazon's Kindle, Stanza and iBooks installed and I know none of them split the page into two when changing to Horizontal view.

Thanks.

iBook reader is the only one I am interested in. And with the app that is made for reading epub documents.

Steve - With Apple stock almost at $300 USD I can sell two shares and buy one. But I have the feeling that the second generation is going to be a lot better and I would rather not get stuck with something I cannot unload.

What I would be interested to know is can you open an epub file in an iPad. It would have to be an attachment to an e-mail as the iPad does not have an internal hard drive.

But the only way to determine the book is going to look is to view it en situ, or on the iPad. Because there is no iPad simulator that I have found that can simulate a 132dpi document on a conventional screen at the actual size.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 09 October 2010 at 11:43 PM.

OK Finally making progress. And I have even ORDERED AN IPAD!!!

As I understand the process, I have to upload the epub file to my iTunes account and then sync the file with the iPad to preview it. Apple certainly does not want to make it easy.

Then if the book looks OK, we are going to use a service like BookBaby to get the book in the iTunes Store.

More news as it develops.

Progress!

The iPad arrived today in an plain unmarked box, though the FedEx guy gave me a knowing wink and knew exactly what the contents were.

I synced EYE BALL, and it looks really good. The images are smaller than I would have hoped but they work and the brightness and resolution is very good.

Adobe is working on a Digital Publishing solution which I have signed up to test. This will allow me to create a portrait as well as landscape version of the book so when the reader rotates the iPad he or she will see the image full screen. Now all I have to do is learn how to do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eye-ball.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	77610