Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Determining where Designer 6 saves files

I am really getting the hang of this software but there are some irritating wrinkles that so far are defeating me. I am setting up a page seen on the attachments. I have created a folder for each year in which I have placed 12 individual data files, one for each month doing so as a pdf file linked to its button. However, having set the webpage mouse-over and link properties I find that Xara Webdes 6 has created a copy in the mother folder. See the other jaypeg of my file tree. How can I assert some of my own file discipline on this frisky software? I want my files to stay in their respective year folder and no copies to be placed where I don't ant them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara_02.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	77851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara_01.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	77850  

Default Re: Determining where Designer 6 saves files

Instead of inserting the pdf, insert a link that points to the folder where you files are.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Hi Grapher

I am not sure how you are doing this. Do you want individual folders for each year?

If this is the case then each year needs to be a separate website. So publish 2000 to your 2000 folder and make the site for each folder index.htm or index.html

Then link the year links to your URL/year

So, for example if your website is mysite.com, then point the link for year 2000 to mysite.com/2000 The browser will automatically load the index.html file for that folder.

This make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hi Grapher

I am not sure how you are doing this. Do you want individual folders for each year?

If this is the case then each year needs to be a separate website. So publish 2000 to your 2000 folder and make the site for each folder index.htm or index.html

Then link the year links to your URL/year

So, for example if your website is mysite.com, then point the link for year 2000 to mysite.com/2000 The browser will automatically load the index.html file for that folder.

This make sense?
    I am at such an early stage on the learning curve that I am not yet equipped to weigh the arguments for and against these ideas. With alittle effort tomorrow, I will be able to understand your point. I tell you where I'm coming from. I used to run a big website with many pages and created in an early WYSIWYG editor namely Coolpage. That worked OK for me but the big snag with that software was that it put every single file into one folder/directory when you exported the site. There were hundreds of them which makes housekeeping a great deal more complicated. I was hoping that with WD6 I would be able to construct a site with cascading folders so that I could organise what after all is a chronological set of records. It is most natural when working with such data that a tiered file structure is used with what is entirely numeric stuff.

I may have found the source of the irritating behaviour because when I opened the layer tool the page upon which I was working had all the layers locked. I have unlocked them but have had enough for tonight! I'll have another play tomorrow - there are at least some benefits to getting wrinklie in retirement - many hours to hand is just one of them.