Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: headbanger

Unhappy headbanger

well I'm getting tired of banging my head. I seem to have an 'achilles tendon' with my work and was hopeful someone here might have a solution. I know how to optimize my work for the web- the protocol of having the correct color profile, saving sharpening & resizing till last, and following the instructed resampling guidelines when upsampling or downsampling. but sometimes when I load a work on the web an issue occurs in which the image does not retain the quality of appearance from my computer to the internet. does anyone have any thots on what I can do different, what I'm doing wrong? thank you

Default Re: headbanger

Hi Nance,

Web Browsers can do some strange things to images and only the person visiting the site has control of how their browser is configured.

Browsers can resize and change the dithering of images as well as other changes which can degrade how images look.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

It also may be how your monitor is calibrated or not calibrated when you see images in WD and then view them in the browser. They should appear the same however on your monitor as that is the calibration at which you created and exported the images.

If you were viewing the images at a greater magnification, they may not look as good at 96dpi. Is it the color, the quality or what that is bothering you?

My test is always, does it look convincing to someone who have never seen the images on your computer?

well gary, to use your test I'd have you look at the logos I entered for the new TG logo. the main problem there is the text. how does it look on your computer browser?? what I see when it's uploaded to the internet is less than optimal clear text. before getting it to the internet (for me), there is no issue with the text- completely clear and distinct as it should be. this is an example I can show you, tho text is not the only issue I've had.

you mention the default setting of xara, 96dpi- this is a very good issue to clarify for me. it seems best that I reset the xara default to 72. this way I don't have to worry when I tansfer an image into another app. but it would also be very helpful if you could say briefly what happens when an image is transferred at 96 to another app's default setting at 72, if I didn't give it any thot and just transferred it (I presume is would be a lossy type of transfer).

this leaves one group of questions. having worked a lot with photos for the web, is there a different protocal process in optimzing a .xar > .jpeg image for the web?, for example they don't seem to require as much sharpening. are there things you don't do that you might do in PS, for example. for a .xar > .jpeg is the optimizing for dithering different than PS?....How important is it that .xar files be set at 96?
    I realize I've thrown a lot out here. I hope it makes sense as I've written this very quickly. thank you!

nance