Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to make a 3D cone/funnel in Xara?

I have been trying for a couple days in Photo & Graphic designer to make a 3D funnel, and I can't figure out a way to. I can make a lovely tube, great 3D circles, but am really stumped on how to make a funnel shape. A client has a project needing multiple slightly different funnels, and I not sure where to begin to use Xara to create the tapered effect necessary for a funnel and still make it 3D. Any pointers?

p.s. I also have the Xara 3D6 available if there's a way to do this that would be better using that software.

Thank you!

Liora

Default Re: How to make a 3D cone/funnel in Xara?

Hi Liora,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Your post would be better placed in the Designer Pro and Photo & Graphic Designer forum.

This forum "3D Graphics" is for people that use programs like Maya, Rhino, Truespace, Carrara, and other 3D modeling and rendering software.

The attached .xar file is my attempt to create a 3D looking funnel in Xara Designer Pro 6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funnel.png 
Views:	17178 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	77632  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 09 November 2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: updated attached image and .xar file
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The attached will show you how it is done.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Edit: Well done, Bill - I see you beat me to it!

Name:	mini.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	77633  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 09 November 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: addendum - add .xar file
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thanks Bob. I like your use of the Extrude Tool.

The attached images show how a 3D application (in this case an older version of Cinema 4D) can be used to make a funnel.

I created a shape in Designer Pro 6 that represents a cross section of a funnel. This shape was exported as an Illustrator .ai file to be opened in Cinema 4D.

In Cinema 4D I added a Lathe Nurb and dropped the shape into the Nurb to create the funnel shape.

Three directional lights and a textured floor object were added to the scene and then it was rendered. There are two screen shots of Cinema 4D, one showing the isoparms (similar to wireframe but only displays the facing view of the object). The isoparms view is the working environment. The second screen shot shows each of the four views (perspective, overhead, front, and right side) of the scene rendered to an image.

Name:	funnel.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	77637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cinema_4d-funnel-1.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	77636  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cinema_4d-funnel-2.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	77635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funnel-vector.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	77638  

Last edited by Soquili; 09 November 2010 at 12:28 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Here's a version that wasn't so rushed.
    Same method as my previous one.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	extruded funnel.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	77653  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 09 November 2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thank you for your replies. What I'm struggling with is getting to that initial shape of a circle with tapering sides. I've tried using the mould on a square only to, of course, get a 3D square with tapered sides. What initial shape do I need in 2D before taking it into 3D? I've opened the files in this thread, but can't figure out how you got the sides to taper. Using extrude, I can only elongate the circle/tube, but I haven't been able to make it taper to a small opening at the other end. What did you use as your initial shape(s)?

Sorry if this is very elementary. I've struggled with it for a few days. I can see what you did and could take them and use them, but I need to know how to reproduce it from scratch. Thank you for your help!

Liora

Quote Originally Posted by Liora View Post
    A client has a project needing multiple slightly different funnels
    Not quite sure from the above whether this is what you're trying to achieve?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funnels.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	77665
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

@beretgascon,

Actually, they need multiple different types of funnels -- funnels at different angles, some pulled out like a Slinky with gaps periodically as it tapers. Right now, I'd just be really happy to know the beginning steps in making a funnel (what I need to do before switching it to 3D), and I think I could figure out the rest from there.

It would need to be 3D, look hollow on the inside. There'd need to be views of it from the side as well as views looking down into it. When I first started messing around with it, I didn't realize just what a complicated thing it is to make a funnel, not a tube or any of the things similar to a funnel.

What did you use to make those 4 funnels?

Liora

p.s. I'm new here. Do you think this would get more views in another thread? If so, how do I go about contacting a moderator to request to move it? I apparently started it in the wrong area. Thank you!
    Last edited by Liora; 10 November 2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added my name and a p.s.

Here's a tutorial showing how I made a funnel using Xara. The.xar and .pdf files are attached.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	Extruded Funnel.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	77673  

Hello again Liora,

I'm not sure what a slinky is but I think that if you need lots funnel designs of varying shapes and size and, above all, viewed from various angles, you will need to do this in a 3D app, for ease of manipulation. In Xara Designer you create a static 2D image, that's all, not shapes, so I don't think it's suited to your needs. Your problem is going to be the learning curve in quickly mastering the steps required to do this in a 3D app like Cinema4D or TrueSpace (which is free). I don't have any easy answers for you I'm afraid - whether you use a 2D app or a 3D app to create your images, it's not going to be easy for you. You may find it easier to get somebody here to do it for you, either for free (some of the people here are truly generous with their time) or for a small fee.

Lovely and simple tutorial Bob
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.