Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default creating double sided business card

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some examples on how to go about creating a double sided business card.
    The idea is to create a two-fold landscape 85 x 55 mm card.
    On the inside (front side of page 2) will figure some small artwork.
    The cover side (first page) will contain a cut-out rectangle partly showing the inside artwork.

Any advice on how to present this for proper printing by external service?

Thanks a lot!

Erwin
    Erwin Panen

Default Re: creating double sided business card

You have to create the front and the back (this is obvious). Add crop marks so the printer knows where to trim the artwork.

A die cut (the cut out rectangle) may be very expensive as this requires the printer to create a die to cut out the shape, and then running the cards through a special press to cut out the rectangle.

What if you put part of the card that is below the cut out, on the card instead of the die cut rectangle. You can add a small drop shadow to give the illusion of a cut out area?

Default Re: creating double sided business card

Depends on your printer! most will do a runs up to about 5000 without special die and just use the normal guillotine but it is all layout dependant. Ask your printer what size of paper he uses for small runs like this, in the UK most small print shop use SRA3 (320mm x 450mm) and then layout your docs. I would produce 2 docs, one front the other back but in this type of layout. You have got to be sure that both layouts mirror the final outcome and the imposition is done right or you can pay the printer to do your layout for you that is up to you. I always look at this is my job so if it goes wrong there is no one to blame bar yourself. I have developed links with my printer so if they see something is not right they will not go ahead until it is corrected. Please if you need any further help don't hesitate and come back but talk to your printer first.
    Design is thinking made visual.