Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default One Shot Zoom is broken in x5 help needed...

Hi there,

I have been using CorelDRAW for 15 years! Started with version 3. I don't know if I can relearn something so ingrained into my psych... I have stopped upgrading at version 8. I bought 10 but never liked it. I now have purchased x5 due to V8 not working with w7, Sigh...

The goal is simply to be able to be able to use the one shot zoom like it used to work.

How it used to work.

No matter what tool is selected, you click on zoom, you click and drag a box, and when you release, it zooms in and your tool is selected again. Wow amazing! 8)

The one shot zoom tool that is hidden in the setup works this way. Perfectly.

Now back to version 8. No matter what tool is selected, you click on zoom, you right click and a box appears, you select zoom out, and the previous zoom level is shown and the tool you were using before is selected.

However in x5 when you right click and click zoom out, the display zooms out, BUT the zoom tool is still selected! WTF! Why is it this way? It's broken and I keep clicking like my previous tool was selected and it zooms instead! Gaaa it's driving me bonkers!!!

Here I sit in front of my stupid old XP machine while my shiny new powerhouse machine sits there not being used because of this blunder. How could they break something so freaking simple? So depressed!!!

Someone please help me... Thanks, Jim
    IP

Default Re: One Shot Zoom is broken in x5 help needed...

Man, I feel for you indeed. My X5 also updated a feature in X4 that created a boundary line around the perimeter of what you selected that is useful for creating a solid shadow w/ out the shadow tool. Have you contacted Corel? Be sure to give the reply a little time. Have you downloaded the Service Pack 1 (BTW, Service Pack 2 is on it's way which includes Pack 1)? www.corel.com

Also, refer to the HELP file on the right side at the top which may give you some ideas in how the change works now. Upgrades can be frustrating and it seems like a step back at times. It's almost like they forget how the thing was built in the first place and started from scratch. Good luck. I am afraid that I have given you all the help that I have. chuckray
    IP

one thing you can do is move the mouse cursor to the centre of the area you wish to zoom into and use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out

you can do this in most tools AFAIK without needing to change to zoom
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Howdy Jim,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I too am an old version 3 user, and followed the same pattern as you did, except I landed on V9 for a while and then hopped to X3, I don't feel any need for X5 yet. Anyway, I have always used the F2 key for my "zoom in" and the F3 key for my "zoom out", I think it comes as a standard setting in Corel, but can't remember that far back unless I customised it so in my latest versions. I have just tried what you are requesting, and it does seem work the way I presume you want things to be. Give it a try in X5, unless they have changed things according to the way my X3 works. So - when I press F2, I can zoom in, or around the object, and after that, the tool I had selected is still active, if I then press the F3 Key, things zoom out, and the same tool is again active.

Hope it works for you!

Cheers - George
    IP

that seems to work in X5 too...
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Wow looks like I have found a great graphics forum here!

I am going to try and create custom buttons to emulate the F2 and F3 keys! They can be in the tool bar and I don't have to re-learn how to use the program. lol Thanks, you guys have really helped me! Thanks again! Jim
    IP

For anyone else interested... you can create a custom macro triggering the F2 button:

Code:
    Sub OneShotZoom()
        SendKeys "{F2}", True
    End Sub
    ...then go to Tools > Customization > Commands > Macros and drag the macro onto your toolbox!

Delete the default Zoom button, and change the macro button picture to a Zoom tool picture, and voila! Click the new tool, Left click to do a one-shot zoom in, Right click to do a one-shot zoom out.

Thanks for all the help, guys!
    IP

thanks for the feedback
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP