Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Color Management

Two questions regarding CM for photorgrapers:
    1. Is it possible to set the Photo & Graphic Designer to use the monitor profile created by profiling tool? If so, how?
    2. Is the full Color Management on the developers list?
    Thanks

Default Re: Color Management

To me what you are asking for are two different things here. If you are printing directly from Xara your colour profile is directly from your printer and your monitors profile and need to be calibrated at regular intervals by using tools that you can afford. If you are exporting your output so that it can be viewed or printed by someone else and you export as PDF with the "commercial Print Settings" then the Bitmaps are converted to CMYK in native (uncompressed) format according the ICC Color Profile "US Web Coated SWOP". You can if you want change these settings and export your colour profile in the Advance Tab in the PDF export.

If you are asking Xara to change the colour management to the way Adobe products work I really doubt that this will happen as the programme construction is linked to RGB. In most situations this is the best format as CMYK has such a limited palette compared to RGB. Dear Xara board is the place to put this type of request and it has been done many, many times in the past. Have a look your self and also do a search on Colour management in Talkgraphics as you may find it helpful.

I would have thought as a photographer that you would have preferred to stay in RGB for the quality that it gives.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks, Albacore. I understand, that the answers are No-No, am I right? I have my monitor profiled, but PGD seems to ignore it completely. This is why I asked the first question. Sorry for the second one, I had better to put it in the right forum. I just wanted to provoke discussion about the "Photo" aspiration of the PGD as a tool for photographers. I would expect, that proper color management is in the pipeline in this case (Corel Draw X5 is better choice for photographers from this point ...)
    Petr

But surely when you print from PGD it is not the profile offered by Xara it is the printers colour profile that you are using and that is where the colour correction is required? I use Canon's as my trial copies in the house and they are both Inkjet one 6 tank the other 4 tank and both are A3+. The reason for 2 is that one prints CMYK so to get an idea what the output is like as most of my work goes to print and it would be a total guess going from RGB to CMYK even with "Simulate Print" on as it only gives an approx. I take it from your discussion points that your printer is also a 4 tank printer? why not buy a printer with 6 or 8 tanks you are going to get a better quality print from these and it is going to be nearer your screen output.

You are right, even when printing from color managed Capture NX2, or QImage I use "let printer manage colors" option. I have the Epson R2400 (8 inks), and I also expect, that the print and the monitor look should be close. But they are not, and that is why I asked question here.

The only option I have found is in selecting RGB for local color manapulation. But RGB does mean nothing so I asked if there is possible to choose the appropriate icm profile to use by monitor. Can someone to make a look at Designer PRO if there is such option available?

Thank you very much

Now each printer has different characteristics and when you print on different paper you want different settings a frequently they are not the same as the printer manufacturer states. so have a look at this site. http://www.marrutt.com/inkjet-fault-finding-2.php#pro
    Also from the site I downloaded a Lyson PDF on how to set it up for Photoshop or your printer driver which I have mentioned before so have a look also at the PDF. Who ever you get your photo paper from should also give settings to get the best effect and this is the help that Lyson gives trying to sell you there paper but these setting work for most papers. If you can understand that if you control the ink that your printer spits out you can get near to what you see on screen but it can take a bit of time
    Attached Files Attached Files