Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Naming Problem DP6

Okay, I seem to be having a problem getting placeholders - or anything else aside from actual pages - to take a name. I don't know if this is the problem, but the code I'm trying isn't working.

I select the object (placeholder) - click on Name, type in <head>, click add - it adds to the list, fine. I check okay, nothing changes - the placeholder is still called "rounded rectangle".

I'm trying to do the code as explained on this page:
    hislide

I can create the placeholders - add the code, etc - but previewing the page brings up a blank white page. The name of the rounded rectangles do change to HTML Pllaceholder - but I can't get them to accept another name.

And btw - does it matter what Level these rectangles are on in the page and layer gallery? I know they go off to the side on the pasteboard, but do they need to be on the same layer as the image or on the placeholder background or what?

I've noticed this naming problem on other objects, too - there simply doesn't seem to be a way to get any name to stick on any object. Is this a problem with Design Pro 6?

What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Naming Problem DP6

I've never had a problem naming an object. Just tried it on a random object in my current project and it worked fine. Can you attach a file .xar or .web for us to look at?

Jim

did you hit the 'Apply" button a necessity I believe..nefore OK.
    JimM

Jim - You are going to really confuse Judee. There is not Apply button. Just Add and then Close.

Judee - It really does get easier. Honest.

Does this happen if you create a new document? As Jim pointed out, this is very straight forward. I tried it on several rectangles, even one with rounded corners and it worked fine every time.

Hi Judee. No problem with XDP6 and names - I've just run through that tutorial again. Honest.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Judee

Open this file and see if the placeholder rectangles all are named <HEAD>

I noticed two things in Steve's tutorial. Your page background has to be another color than white because the Alt Text is white. And even though I have added <center> tags to my Alt Text caption, it does not center.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gwpriester; 01 November 2010 at 07:12 PM.

Hi,
    My 'Placeholder' has an apply button. LOL
    JimM

Thanks all. And yes, Gary, I do believe you, it will get easier. I remember how confused I was when starting to work with 3d art programs. Terminology and concepts that were clear to everyone else were not that clear to me - it just takes time to grasp it all.

Here is where my confusion was coming in - I thought the renaming was supposed to show up on the Page and Layer Guide - therefore making it easier to visually see what is what, instead of, for example, having 12 lines that just say Text on them. Now I see that the naming is apparently just to keep track in the Name Gallery - and a way to easily click on similar items, etc.

I redid the rectangles, gave them each a name of <head> and <head> is showing up in the name gallery (ie - all 3 selected on my page when I click the head button.) I applied the text to the web properties "Replace with html" boxes, and all is working great now. I don't know what went wrong before, as I thought I had done it all correctly, but apparently I did miss something.

Just one very minor thing - the image in question has a black frame around it. Looks black on the page, (smaller image) but when it pops up to full size now, there is a very tiny (1 pixel?) white line on the outside of the left and bottom borders - kind of like a shadow but in white. I tried setting to no shadow, etc. it didn't change. I also tried changing the line color to a darker color - that removed the white line on the left side, but still showed a white line underneath.

And just a question on the code part -

<style type="text/css">
    .close-simple-white {

what does that do? would changing it to black, for example, remove that tiny border I'm getting?
    and

.highslide-caption {
    position: absolute;
    color:#FFFFFF;

I assume that's for changing the text color of any title or text you add to the image?

Oh, almost forgot - in the names gallery, when I click on some of the names to see where they are being applied, I get a popup saying "One or more objects could not be slelcted because they are invisible and/or locked layers, or inside objects that do not allow a selections inside. Well, nothing on any of my pages is locked or, to my knowledge, invisible. Even my Mouse Over is not set to invisible. And while I do have some extruded text, it's in jpeg format. This is happening on almost everything I try to select (in names gallery). Any idea why? Is this normal? I can pick actual images and such with no problem - but colors and themes, no. I was hoping to name some of the text colors and hoping to keep them consistent.

Anyway, thanks again for the help and the patience. I'm getting there...

3D Programs! I have never been able to figure out 3D programs. Even the easy ones.

Giving objects different names is a way of getting around programming limitations. Web Designer 6, Designer Pro 6, and Photo and Graphics Designer 6 are not designed to edit HTML code. So any modifications one makes to the HTML document, are lost the next time you publish your site.

The placeholders provide a way to get around this. Code placed in a placeholder adds the code or script in the HTML document. Each time you republish.

The <HEAD> name places the placeholder script in the <HEAD> portion of the HTML document.

If you have never had the pleasure of looking at an HTML document, go to the View menu of your browser and select View Source or Page Source. This will open the actual HTML file.

An HTML file has a TITLE, a HEAD, and BODY section. In the early days most of this was done by keying in HTML code. But it has gotten so complex that very few people hand code any more.

All of the various "TWEAKS" that John Horn, Steve Ledger and others have created are work arounds that augment the HTML document.

The best way to see what effect changing the color in the script is... To try it out. Keep the original script on another page or not in a placeholder.

And if you enter a Hexadecimal value for color e.g. FFFFFF be sure to add the # before the value, #FFFF00.