Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Website, need some assistance

Hello everyone, I am new here at Talkgraphics and I must say this site is absolutely fantastic.

I am a new Xara user, trying to convince myself that I can do without the Adobe suite.

I am very content with Xara, but realize that I have much to learn.

Here is my first attempt at a website, http://www.elegancelimousine.ca

For some reason google cannot find this site, I have indicated keywords and description.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Default Re: New Website, need some assistance

Welcome to TalkGraphics

How long has your site been online?

One thing that is working against you right now is the text on your home page is a bitmap. It is very elegant, but totally invisible to Google or other search engines. I would recommend replacing the bitmap with actual text. Georgia Italic is a web safe font and almost as elegant as the font you have used. And we can all do without the Adobe Suite.

First, you have to give it time. SE's don't find sites right away.. This can take weeks or even more.
    Second, you must have CONTENT..
    Google doesn't care about the 'KEYWORDS' meta - but it does care about text content. Your site has none, google (or any spider) cannnot read text as bitmaps. So to SE's your site is uninteresting and they won't bother with it even if they do find it.
    I'm afraid you will need to redo the entire site and remove the bitmap text replacing it with REAL text. You will need to use a web safe font.

Er, I think I said that Steve.

Er.. You did? I only see your post above...

I would suggest a different font. The fancy font is difficult to read on smaller monitors and for people with poor vision. There are fonts that look more upper class than say Arial or Times New Roman that are not quite so "script" like. They are easier to read which is vital. You could use the fancy font for the headings( I would only use upper case on the 1st letter vs the whole thing - it doesn't look good in that font ). Otherwise, the site itself looks good.

Another reason besides better search engine indexing to have actual text vs text images is the page will load faster for you.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

@ Gary and Steve: Apologies for the confusion it seems Gary replied before I had a chance to approve the thread and I didn't realize that his post would need to be approved separately I have approved it now so it should show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Ah... Gary's comment makes sense now.. Oh well, great minds :P

Oh my god, I thought I said thanks for all the help. My appologies, I have learned a lot with this information. I have managed to make my site rank fairly high submitting it to google and making a xml site map. I have spoke with my clients about changing the font, and so far it is what they want and do not wish to change it. Thank you again.

I have a question. How did you make a gallery with cars photos. It looks great !