Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The Kings Speech..

There's been a lot of publicity about The Kings Speech and there can be few people who haven't heard of the film. When I first heard of the film (before it had enjoyed such favourable publicity) I really did think people were mad to make a film about the subject - who on earth wanted to watch such a thing? Well my Son went to see it and much to my surprise was really positive about it. So, on Sunday I finally went to see it and I'm so glad I did. It really is quite moving. Tonight one of the UK channels aired a program billed as the "The Real King's Speech". It showed the actual speeches and spoke to many people of that generation who were also helped by Logue (the King's speech therapist). It was quite moving to hear them talk about how they had been helped and their reaction to watching the King's speeches in light of their own struggle.

If you haven't seen it yet and want a thoughful involving film to watch, don't be put off by what looks at first glance like a rather dull subject. It is well worth your time.

I think the film will certainly give people thought about the struggles of those with a stammer and some thought about the English Monarchy.

Do consider going to watch it, or borrow the DVD when it comes out.

A big thumbs up.

Default Re: The Kings Speech..

Thanks for your review of the movie Paul.

The trailers shown on TV here had already convienced me to see the movie, although I wait for the DVD release. Have not been to a movie theater since 1998.

My speech therapist was a very nice lady that traveled 30 miles one way to give me theropy three times a week when I was in grammer school.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: The Kings Speech..

Saw this on the BBC website today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12327847

It had a resonance with me. When I was in my early twenties/teens I had a fairly mild stammer than was a nuisance rather than major problem. Professionally I was being asked to talk more at meetings and presentations, so rather than make a fool of myself at work I was lucky enough to be able to teach some evening classes at a local college. I figured - better to look stupid there than at work - and the experience all but removed my tendency to stammer. It certainly allowed me to get up and talk in front of a crowd (my evening classes sometimes started out with almost 40 people, but as time went by they would usually reduce to sub 30 - natural attrition and transfers to another class where there were fewer people).

I drink (alcohol) very rarely, but I do know that a fairly modest amount of alcohol can really inhibit my speech. I don't mean in the classic drunken slur form, but as a block to getting any words out. Sometimes I know that it's going to happen and it takes an effort to get past it. I have never really understood the mechanism for this behaviour. Usually when this happens my hearing really goes downhill too - hard to pick out conversation amid the background noise of a pub.

I realise my post paints a picture of someone with a stammering problem, but really very few people who know me would see me as a stammerer at all - quite the opposite. Whenever I speak to a group I always try and project an air of confidence (if the speaker isn't confident, then people lose interest or confidence in what is being said).

I am so pleased by TKS breaking the taboo for people with the problem.