Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb "What is Creativty?"

Hi folks. Though I am a member here at TG I've not been around for quite some time. So to anyone who may remember me I say, "Hello!!"

I just began writing a journal online and it is called, "Odyssey; Inside the Womb of Imagination". As I prepare to write the next entry to post, I'm going around to different places and asking if anyone would like to throw in their 2cents....I'm asking the question, "What is Creativity?"

If you find it of interest to give a response, I may choose to use your answer or part of it in the next entry. I will keep anything you say anonymous, unless you state otherwise.
    ...so does anyone have an interestingly plain explanation OR perhaps a creative thought to share??

htpp://wwwbluedwarfstudio-odyssey.blogspot.com/

Default Re: "What is Creativty?"

Creativity, like the word Art, is a much overused and so devalued word. It should be saved for descriptions of the finest example of the fruits of mans ingenuity and imagination, whereas it’s often applied to banal examples of popular ‘culture’ to the extent where true examples of creativity are often lost in the morass of loudly advocated and decidedly average achievement.

A brief moment of inspiration when something new is added to the collective consciousness.

Agree with you Derek, something derivative is often mistaken for "creativity"
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thumbs up Re: "What is Creativty?"

very nice beginning.....thank you
    nance

"I don’t understand creation ( small ‘c’ ). If I paint a picture, was it there before me? No. Will it survive me? Quite possibly. But the creation was only there when the image was being formed: it ceases to exist at the very moment it exists and, although the image will fade with age, creation stops there; the painting is a part of Creation, not creation. I don’t understand that instantaneous corruption of time!"

Me. A long time ago. When I had hair and ... creativity??
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Hmm so creativity has something to do with hair, hmm, that is why these creative artistic types have long hair. Thank you for that Neodist
    for me creativity is being in the mood for creating whatever. The ability to see new things, out of old things or recombining or <sigh>
    It would be easier to explain how a banana tastes.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Creativity is something that is done with the right brain and over analyzed with the left brain.

Years ago when I worked as a "creative" for Young & Rubicam, they were always having meetings for the creative department to help us to be more creative. The last year I worked for the company they came to the brilliant conclusion that creativity is what the creative people did intuitively. :rooleyes: We could have saved them a ton of money if they had asked us first.

What do you mean with intuitively? It is the Muzes, those entities that whisper in your ear new idea's.
    Mine stinks by the way
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    something derivative is often mistaken for "creativity"
    Most creative things are derivative. Just as with all realms of human activity we stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before. Many creative people have studied others or had some kind of influence in their life that they draw upon. The real talent/genious is in making that connection or leap that the rest of us can't make.

I don't think applying the label "creative" needs to be reserved to those with stunning talent or making breakthroughs. I often see things in boring daily life that sometimes strike me by the creative thought that went into it, whether it's subtle or flamboyant.

This is going well...even the interplay between each other! Long hair promotes creativity I like it!! So Gary what's your response to that??

Please don't be bashful everyone -this is not a contest...just brainstorming- something we all do all the time! You can give anything from a well thought out--to funny answer; keep your brain-babies coming....
    thnx!
    Last edited by TwidderBird; 31 October 2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling corrections