Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OH NO! HELPPPP

Default OH NO! HELPPPP

I have a site that I did some updates on and then was saving when Xara locked up. I can not open the file now. I get an error saying "Error From Xara Web Designer" at the top/header of the message box that pops up and then "Out Of Memory" in the message field. There are no error numbers or any other words just OOM.

This was saved to a USB memory stick. I have never had Xara crash during a SAVE. I am pretty sure I already know the answer and it is that I am screwed but figured I would ask. I really don't want to lose the site and have to start over. My god it is 17 pages long. I don't have any problems working with the site when it is open and I have a powerful computer with plenty of memory.

I can see the preview of the last page of the site I was on in the little window( in Windows Details )so it appears the site info is still there it just won't open. Not sure if there is a way to save this or if it is now corrupted beyond repair? If I can't open that site and have to redo the entire thing I am going to be really angry!!!!

It is WD5 btw not 6. PLEASE help if you can. Thanks in advance. I will even attach the file in case you might be able to do something with it that way.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: OH NO! HELPPPP

I get an out of memory error when I try to open your file as well. And I tried to open the file in WD6.

Hi attached is the file recovered using expandxar I was able to recover 9 pages of the file

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Excellent. I was not sure if Expandxar would work. Expandxar can be downloaded for free from the Xara Xone Shareware Page. It's about the third or fourth item down under All is not lost.

The version 6 products all create automatic backups which can be very helpful in instances like this when you loose your work.

The backups can be found in File > Open Recent... and at the bottom of the list Backups.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 28 October 2010 at 02:35 PM.

THANK YOU! At least it is some of it saved. I really appreciate that.

And do consider upgrading to version 6 if for no other reason than this.

What does the version of WD have to do with this? I have read of similar problems with WD6( i.e. crashes and OOM errors ). This is the 1st time this happened to me. Or do you mean that program that saved the files needs WD6?

Yeh, I get out of memory crashes quite often with ver6; if you attempt to continue the save, it will give you a corrupted file, if that. The auto backup saves the day.
    Also it seems that you must exit the prog and restart to continue.
    Appears to happen if I get crazy with site changes on multiple pages without stopping and doing a save and export website.
    Probably will be fixed someday.
    running a quad4 with win7 64bit and 4gb of ram.
    I keep a desktop gadget running that monitors the cpu and ram usage and it never gets higher than 60% ram usage when the prog crashes, so it has to be a internal program buffer overflow problem or it isn't giving back memory properly. At any rate it is Broke as they say.

good luck
    Bob

It's inexcusable that a crash-during-save corrupts the one-and-only saved file anyway, as there's a simple technique as old as the hills for avoiding that particular problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gsthunder View Post
    What does the version of WD have to do with this? I have read of similar problems with WD6( i.e. crashes and OOM errors ). This is the 1st time this happened to me. Or do you mean that program that saved the files needs WD6?
    WD6 saves backup copies of your files, so there is a failsafe to go back to an older version.