Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trimming what's not on canvas

I'm currently using the trial of Xara 6 and loving it so far. I have two questions:

1. When I export to a JPG or PNG, I would like it to only export what is on the canvas, not any parts of images hanging off the canvas. What's the best way to do this?

2. I notice when I set the image size at the beginning and then later finish it, it's no longer the size I initially set it as. This could be due to the question above. If not, please let me know what to do to keep the canvas size as set.

Thank you,

Liora

Default Re: Trimming what's not on canvas

Hi - welcome to TG

there is no canvas in xara designer

there is a page area - but it is important to realise that in a vector application such as designer, objects are quite seperate from this, they all exist independently

so setting the page area has no effect on how big your object[s] will be

when you export your JPG or PNG - if you click on the 'Bitmap Size' tab of the dialog box, you will see three 'area to save ' options:

1 Drawing - which exports everything you have drawn [usually - it does also depend on another setting in program options for pasteboard size]
    2 Selected - which exports only object[s] that is selected
    3 Page - which exports what falls within the page area only

so the third option is the one you want, I think....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Welcome to TalkGraphics Liora

I've been using the links for Export to JPG or Export to PNG, which haven't given these options (wonder why?). I'll just use the Export link instead now. Thank you!

Liora

Are you selecting just the image you want to export? Xara exports what you have selected. If you do not select anything then Xara exports the entire page (what I think you are referring to as the canvas.

If the objects you want to export are the only objects on the page, then there is no need to select them.

But if there are other objects on the page, then they will get exported too. See the attached.

In the second image, only the three objects were selected. In the first image no objects were selected and another object in the lower right hand corner was exported as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no-selection.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	77270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selection.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	77269  

Last edited by gwpriester; 25 October 2010 at 06:32 PM.

I, too have never seen the export 'drawing / selection / page' options. Do they exist in the P&G Designer, or just the Pro?

The are in the Bitmap Size tabbed section.

Name:	export-options.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	77272  

If you're using the shortcuts in the menu or on the toolbar that allow you to export as PNG or as JPG directly (as opposed to using FIle->Export... and having to choose the file name and type yourself) the dialog box that's shown in the screen shots above doesn't appear for you by default, you just choose a file name and it exports. However the dialog box where you're entering the export file name does have an Options button in it that causes the full export dialog to show up, which allows for these options.

I have the Pro version but I would imagine that if you have the non-pro and have those quick export buttons your dialog has the same button in it.

Or possibly this isn't what you're talking about at all, in which case you can ignore me.
    Last edited by Odat; 26 October 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Clarification
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Both Designer Pro 6 and Photo & Graphic Designer 6 have the same dialogs for the Export JPEG / Export PNG and the Settings dialog.

Name:	Export-file.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	77281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Export-file-settings.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	77282  

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Odat, yes, they weren't showing by default when I used "Export PNG..." or "Export JPG...". I'm pretty sure I clicked on Settings as well (I don't have any "Options" button on exporting using "Export PNG...") and didn't get anything like the export options showing, either. Not sure what the issue was, but I've switched over to just using the "Export..." instead as habit now, and that solved everything.

Thanks!