Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Question on Web Designer 6 Compatibility

I am fairly new to Web Design. General question...can a site produced in Web Designer 6 be downloaded into a web program such as Dreamweaver or Frontpage?

Default Re: Question on Web Designer 6 Compatibility

Welcome to TalkGraphics Chuck

Why would you want to so this?

I believe that Dreamweaver can edit the HTML from another application but I am not really sure. And each application has its own way to create HTML content.

The big advantage of Web Designer is you design your page and put photos, graphics and text where you want them to be. Xara does the coding.

It is a lot more intuitive an environment than Dreamweaver or Frontpage.

Chuck, the answer is "yes" for Dreamweaver, however the answer is "yes" to any html produced by any program at all, since it's just HTML text and Dreamweaver can always handle that - it is a HTML editor. Frontpage I don't know about but it was conceived as a generator rather than general purpose HTML editor like Dreamweaver.

If you plan to mess with HTML as a core part of your workflow, then Web Designer is not for you. Web designer is a design program that generates HTML. It does not round-trip HTML - it can't read it back and stores it's design in a proprietary format. Editing the software generated generated HTML is not going to be a happy experience.

The WD workflow is design in WD-> publish to HTML, rinse and repeat.

Frontpage can read the HTML as it is an editor as well as a generator.

Although Frontpage is a bit long in the tooth, having been last released in 2003. Microsoft Expression Web has replaced Frontpage.

If you attempt to edit the HTML created by Web Designer and/or Designer Pro 6 using Dreamweaver or Frontpage, expect to be very disappointed with the results. Dreamweaver and Frontpage add overhead code that will break your pages in unexpected ways. Even if you directly edit the HTML using Notepad or other plain text editor the results will be disappointing unless you have studied the HTML and understand how and why the original code functions.

It is much easier to use Web Designer or Designer Pro 6 to update any pages you have created with that software.
    Last edited by Soquili; 25 October 2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update