Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Carrara 3D Boolean

Every time I use 3D Boolean in Carrara (i.e. union of two cylinders), I'm getting vortex object with visible ribs. Can you advise me how to make result of Boolean operations as smooth as original shapes?

Default Re: Carrara 3D Boolean

Booleans with polygonal objects are known to cause dirty results so I'm afraid you're out of luck with Carrara there. Other than that it is a good software though.

To make clean cut booleans try some NURBS programs like Rhino or MOI. I would also check if free Blender can do it.

Just model out what you are looking for...

try instead with spline objects... you can always convert them over to vertice objects later.
    BTW, is it possible for you to show us what you are doing with a screenshot?

Another option (if you use Xara Designer or Corel/Illustrator) 2 circles, select both and Combine shapes, then export to the Carrara spline editing room.
    Extrude.... then convert to Vertice object if needed.

(Export the vector it Illustrator 8 compatible)
    Last edited by Magnatude; 26 October 2010 at 01:35 AM.
    My Humble Studio is here: SciRPG Studio

I am sorry, but must suggest, box or sub d modeling should be done in an app which is designed for such, it saves hundreds or even thousands of clicks depending... Wings 3D and/or Silo are very decent apps for such tasks, and have a much quicker workflow than you will find modeling in Carrara... then import your models into an app such as Carrara for texturing, lighting, scene work... renders...

cheers