Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default publishing html code

Hi, I am new here because I am thinking of purchasing Web Designer 6 after seeing a demo but have a question. I have dabbled in building a few sites for friends using html in Notepad.

After building the web site or altering an existing template in WD6, am I able to obtain the actual html code for the site and can I manually publish the resulting html code to my server or do I HAVE to do it thru the program?

Thanks.

Default Re: publishing html code

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Web Designer and Designer Pro are WYSIWYG web site programs. You put everything on the page where you want it, and Xara does the heavy lifting.

Yes, you can edit the code in Notepad. But why? Every time you republish your site you will need to make the same changes.

You can publish your website to a folder on your desktop (or any place else) and then FTP your files to your server. Or you can manage this using Xara's built in FTP utility.

Thank you. That has answered my question. I apologise if my queries sounded a little obvious but I do not actually have the program yet, I just watched the demo on Xara website.
    So, now to purchase.
    Thanks

Don't purchase - try the trial first.

Definitely check out the trial first. This program definitely works differently than most other web authoring software out there. I love to use it (actually the bigger brother Xara Designer Pro) and have become quite familiar with its functions and limitations, but you really need to "get it" before you will appreciate it.

Also, don't expect to be able to use notepad with the resulting HTML. To a degree, you could do that, but it is definitely not code that you will want to manually update like you would anything else created in notepad directly or like Expression Web or Dreamweaver.

Hope this helps.