Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default How to export PDF with Spot Color

I need to generate a PDF file for 2-color commercial printing, with one spot color and the second color solid black.

I have the graphic elements in two separate layers. I have defined the spot color as 100% cyan, per the printer's suggestion. The black elements are defined as 100% K in the CMYK color model.

The problem is that when I export as a PDF, "there are combination colors in all separations", according to the printer. I tried both normal PDF (300 dpi) and PDF/X and got the same result. I also tried generating a PSD ... again, with the same result.

The printer needs a strict 2-color PDF. Does anyone have a recommendation of what settings might work? Hopefully, this isn't a new problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: How to export PDF with Spot Color

I would use two Pantone non-CMYK colors. You will still get CMYK plates but there should be nothing on these plates. And you will get the two Pantone colors as well. The actual colors don't matter than much because you printer will just substitute the inks you have agreed to.

Please note, that Xara does not support Pantone colors in bitmap images. I keep hoping this issue will be resolved but so far it has not.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I would use two Pantone non-CMYK colors.
    Does that mean two spot colors, in Xara lingo? If so, does it mean that for every defined spot color, Xara will generate an extra "plate" in the PDF/X file (in addition to the four CMYK plates)?

And a related question: is in possible to force Xara into CMYK as the default color mode? I've defined colors in CMYK, but they keep reverting to HSV when I next try to edit them.

Yes, spot colors. And yes, for every Pantone spot color you use, an extra plate will be created. if you have Adobe Acrobat you can check the plates in Advanced > Print Production > Output Preview. You will see CMYK plus your spot colors. If you un-check CMYK you should still see your spot colors.

Second question: Right click on the page and select Page Options.... In the View tabbed section, select Edit Colors in CMYK.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    ... if you have Adobe Acrobat you can check the plates ...
    Thanks for the clear explanation. I followed your recommendation, but I don't have the full Adobe Acrobat to view the layered result.

Instead, I have exported a simple test PDF with one spot color + CMYK black ... and another with two spot colors. Both files are attached.

I will very much appreciate anyone who can open them and confirm how many layers have been exported and which ones have content. What is required for the 2-color press is one plate with the spot color (cyan in my test file) and one plate with the 100% black. The C, M and Y plates should be blank.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Contours,

One of the programmes I use, came up with this result from your PDF Docs.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDF_test.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	77193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDF_spot.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	77194