Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: looking for some ideas

From one old grey beard to an old grey geek just one personal hate and we all do it but please gallery not gallary(especially on an art site!). As already said the nav buttons lead to confusion as to where you are on the site.

Hi Bob,

I have a few suggestions.

I'd make the thumbnails much larger and all the same size. The thumbnails don't have to follow the aspect ratio of the artwork and a trick is to show only part of the artwork - it makes people explore to get the "reveal". I'd make the page much longer (and wider - go to 960 pixels) so you can get some space onto the pages.

I'd probably try and get an image of the artist in situ or besides an easle. I don't think the beach portrait sells the artist. I would ditch the pallette and put the artist there.

Probably a site like this is about the visitor identifying with the artist and then the artwork, so it's as much about selling the artist as the art. The real danger is that what should be an inspiring gallery becomes a catalog shop. Try and make the copy catch the readers attention. A particular heading that could do with a revisit is "Information regarding the artwork" - I'd look for something a bit snappier - "Colors on Canvas", or something better.

Proofread! On the same page: " actuals photographis of existing art.". In general try and simplify sentences to make them easy to read. Colours should be empathetic and muted so that there's no clash with the pallete of the artwork itself.

I've probably said enough now. The guiding principle is to try and make people empathise with the artist and the art. When there is empathy then people may buy. Make space for the artwork to be seen clearly and have space between the words and the images. Xara software makes it easy to ignore grid layouts but they are important to guide the eye.

It's just my take on this - ignore or use at your own discretion! You already have a satisifed client, so no pressure for change.

Good luck and well done.

Paul

Paul
    Thanks, for the critique.
    I will try to incorporate some of your thoughts soon.
    I really appreciate your post.

Thank you

Bob

wow, did that page much to quickly? Thanks, fixed it. hopefully;
    The menus - getting mixed signals on that one. I Used a few (3) Testers, 1 of which never used a computer more than a few times previously, and they had no problem navigating. I did the menus thinking visitors would be led to the right page depending upon what they wanted to see. Yes, for those just browsing about it may be confusing. Anyway, have not made a decision to change it just yet. Never-the-less thank you for your thoughts, and keep them coming.

Bob

In the theme part of the site, I'm confused about the description if it's for the picture or for the button..the description should be aligned together with the picture, i guess..

Hmm: Perhaps it needs to be changed:
    The idea is that her paintings are catagorized, (at least at this time), into those themes. The thought was that it would allow a visitor to select a theme item and be taken to those paintings that, in the artists mind, represents that topic or theme .
    The gallery will take them there also, just another way to go.
    Does this make any sense? or is it really confusing? Any ideas to make it better?