Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Sub site Q and a few others

Okay, two questions here.

First, I have a kind of "sub site" to my site - meaning, it's a separate format, colors, etc, with its own main page (index) and internally linked pages. I have it set up so that it can be accessed from the main menu of my main site.

What I need is to be able to change all pages color schemes, etc, together within this sub-site, but independant of the main site. So, if I change the main site color theme, it won't touch the color theme of the sub-site, and vice-versa.

How do I set up the folders so that it keeps these elements separate?

Also - can the index.htm file be renamed anything other than index?

If I want to use different graphics for the header, how do I make them so they will adjust according to page width, etc., without stretching?

And last - I found a post telling how to export/import menus made in Menu Maker, but is there a way to simply move those MM graphics by hand (in Windows Explorer) so that they will show up in the Buttons or Menu folders in Xara?

Sorry for so many questions, they just seem to pop up as I'm working.

TIA,
    Judee

Default Re: Sub site Q and a few others

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I am not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish.

You can name the index file anything you want, but if you name it anything other than index or default, you will have to include the page name in the link. If you use index or default as the file name then the browser will load this page automatically without the need for a page name.

Thank you for answering gw. I'll try to explain better.

Here is what I understand from you - I have a site that I want to set up using Design Pro 6 - so, when someone clicks on the url for that site they automatically get the index page - even though the typed in url doesn't say /index it's just the url of my site. If I change the index name, that means this will no longer automatically be the first page to show. In fact there would be no default page. I would then have to add something like /newname to the whole address to make it work, right? So actually, I don't want to do this, I want the index page to show up with the main url, and no /whatever, just mysite.com. That's workable, no problem.

However, I have a second site, with a different subject matter, different graphics, etc. I am using the same hosting space, so as not to have to pay twice - no domain name, just mysite.com/othersite. So my questions are - does that mean I name this othersite's index page "othersite" or can I leave it as index, but in a new folder called "othersite" which is a sub folder of the mysite. That is how I have it now. having a page called index in that sub folder works fine for now - but I don't know how it will work with xara - when I "publish" and upload, Xara chooses to place everything together into my main "mysite" database. Won't it automatically try to upload those othersite pages into the same place? Thus overwriting the index file with the other index file? Or can I create a subfolder as there is now, and direct it to upload to a different area?

I cannot test this, because doing so will overwrite my current site, and I'm not ready to do that. I just need to know if it's possible to do it that way, with a sub-folder for the other site - otherwise I'll need to keep it all in one area. And that gets complicated. Because even if I have different names for the two index pages, won't Xara create the same folders for both sites? And thus mix the two different kinds of graphics together?

What I am afraid of is this -on my main site, I planned on having a link to the other site on the menu bar - but if I do that, then whenever I update the main site and choose to update all pages, the fact that the othersite main page is linked in on the menu - won't that cause the color scheme to go over to that page? Would I need to make a separate link, independant of the menu links?

I hope that has explained things better.

The other question was about headers - in the templates, if I change the page width, the header width changes also. If I make my own header, not using a template, how do I get it to adapt to page width like that, without haveing to pull each header and footer over to resize? I know I can choose the size first, but as monitor resolutions change, I might decide to change the resolution of my site too, and wouldn't want to have to go through each page pulling the header back into place.

Again, thanks for any help.
    Judee

Create a new folder. Publish your second website in this folder and use index for the home page. Give the folder the name for the second site.

Let's say that your site is mysite.com and the other folder myothersite. You would link to mysite.com/myothersite/

I did a Workbook article/tutorial on something very similar that will explain this better than I can do here.

Perfect! Thank you so much! I looked through the tutorial you did and it's just what I need, so I have downloaded it for future reference.

I also just remembered I have a whole cd full of Xara Xone that came with DP6 - I think perhaps I should look through those before continuing further. I tend to just jump in and play with a program until I understand it, but I think this may be an exception, as this program has so many different levels to it!