I've discovered that graphics-oriented web pages apparently have a down-side when it comes to SEO. For example, a text box that is modified (i.e. stretched), or one using a designer font, gets turned into a graphic to display properly. But graphics can't be read by search engines looking for text. So all those wonderful topic-related words that a search engine looks for become invisible to them, and only readable by visitors.

So I'd like some suggestions or references to other WD instructions that either warn about this or give some work-arounds. I'm also wondering how well alt tags are received by search engines compared to the real text the user sees, since the graphic text could have some added.

Another example is that search engines give higher priority to <h1> tags on words, over regular text. But I also noticed that large heading words put on the mastheads, menus and dropdowns, are also turned into graphics and become invisible. The same is true of javascripted display items with text - they are apparently ignored or can't be read either. So an unattractive text-based web site gets noticed by Google where a visually-attractive and more readable site gets ignored.

I think that a lot of people like me forget about SEO until after the site is designed. Any SEO suggestions, warnings, etc. would be useful.