Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating Magazine

Is the Design 6 a good program for developing a magazine? We are a skin cancer foundation and must learn in-house.
    Any hints would be appreciated.
    WHB

Default Re: Creating Magazine

Welcome to TalkGraphics WHB

Designer 6 Pro is OK for a magazine as long as it is not too big.

But for a larger magazine, I think you would be better off with Adobe InDesign. InDesign is better suited for large magazines.

We are going to be doing approximately 60 pages... is this to large by your estimate?
    We purchase the program specifically for this project because we were told of its easy learnability.
    Regards
    WHB

Yes it's easy and fast to learn. It's easy and fast to use. But it's not a DTP application. It has some DTP functions and you can produce very nice flyers/brochures/pamphlets/DVD covers etc and impressive small websites. But if you want a large publication with lots of photos and so on that you expect to export to a format for a magazine print house, listen to Gary.

I would also recommend Indesign for a 60 page magazine. You have much more control in Indesign, and it is faster when there are many pages. Among the greatest advantages with Indesign would be styles and the preflight functions, which are not supported in Designer.
    Designer Pro would be great though to create the graphics used in the magazine.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

If your skin cancer foundation is a charity it can purchase InDesign the student version for £325 but if it can't run to that amount of money for InDesign have a look at Serif's PagePlus for £80 it will handle that size of magazine without any problems. For a start it is much easier to learn and it comes with templates which are very usable and are easy to make your own and it has master pages just like ID but are far easier to set up. It is now on its 14 version so it is well sorted out and if your foundation is really short of money you can download version 10 for free and at a push you have even Microsoft Front Page but it is so slow. Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    at a push you have even Microsoft Front Page but it is so slow. Hope this helps.
    Would that be Microsoft Publisher you were meaning Peter? MS Front Page is the older HTML editor which was superseded in 2006 by Expression Web.

Well corrected I did mean Plublisher.

Or Publisher.

Just me having a bad day. O.....oh you very smart person!