Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default A really Fishy site

Finished this recently and though I would put it up. This one was a tough one because I set my self the task of creating a site similar to a template monster flash site template (see below) but I have no idea whatsoever about customizing a flash site so it was done in XWD instead.

http://www.templatemonster.com/flash...tes/20050.html

The site is http://aquariumsuk.com/

Obviously the site had to be more practical, the template monster sites look amazing but aren't that practical in the real world. Please comment as I am quite happy about how this one turned out.

thanks

Kash
    Last edited by angelize; 11 October 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: A really Fishy site

Very nice, and very well done. I like yours better than the template monster one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I think your site is very appealing visually. It's elegant, simple to navigate and easy on the eye. One thing about the colour scheme, my eyes would have preferred the base colour to be a lighter blue, but that's a personal observation (obviously the lighter the background, the more difficult a white font is to read). The colourful graphics at the top and right are perfect for the subject matter as well as being very polished and engaging. Like angelize, I too prefer your design and layout to the TM template.

One thing I would remove is the rather annoying "bubble" sound on page transitions. I was playing some soft chillout music when I entered the site and as I flipped from page to page it really did become rather annoying. I know many site owners (as opposed to developers) love the idea of sound on their pages but, frankly, try to dissuade them. There's a ton of research available to show that site visitors react negatively to unannounced and unrequested sound.

Your content could use a fair bit of refinement to make it more search engine friendly and, if this content was supplied by the customer, you have an opportunity here to make a little bit extra by informing your customer of this.

Remember that website visitors do not read page content, they scan it, for content relevant to their interests. Search engines, on the other hand, read every word, so maximise the available space by including as many keyword-rich phrases as you can get away with without being accused of keyword spamming. Do a search on these topics, there's a wealth of free SEO information out there!

Well done, it's a very nice site - your customer should be very satisfied
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thank you so much guys, really appreciate the feedback, I know what you mean by the bubble sounds, luckly I was able to just have it for 1 second on page change, it could have ended up being on constant. I am currently working on the seo side and making subtle changes to the content, unfortunatly the aquariums page has to have the text provided by the manufacturer of the aquariums so not much i can do there, but I will work on the home page. I did choose the slightly darker blue to give a better contrast to the text as it is already quite small.

thanks again

Kash

Ps. thanks for the link help Frances

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

You are welcome Kash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.