Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Only the usual duplice home page issue...

I have not yet resolved the problem. Neither Canonical, redirect, etc, or a stiff drink appears capable of fixing this. With a single page, this does not occur. More than one page, (with page links) and it's back. I spent a LOT of time researching this on line with no results. Did any of you folks manage to create a site, running MS XP, SP2, on a IIS 7 Server, and NOT have this problem??? Using .htaccess, it's of no use to redirect an index.htm, or default.htm file to itself.

I appear to be out of options. I agree that SEs like Google are smart enough to resolve this to a single page, however, it would sure help if there was something that I could do to fix it.

Johnny B

Default Re: Only the usual duplice home page issue...

Sorry but which problem?
    If you have another thread discussing this, can you at least link to it so we can check what your problem was and still is?

Sorry about that Chief...the search Engine analysis tool through my host shows duplicate pages....com and ....com/index.
    The response from my host is "This is because the SEV tool crawls the site just as a search engine spider does, and the spiders will see an index page as two pages on your site (one at the domain by itself and one at the full path name). There is no way to "correct" this in our system as it is not an error. You should be able to resolve any errors displayed for both "pages" in SEV by correcting the error on the index file of the site."
    I'm at a loss as I cannot see where the "error" would be on the "index" file. I have four files and only one index file.

Johnny B

Sounds ridiculous. Ignore it. If you have only one standard w3c standards compliant index.htm (Xara writes compliant code) then you have only one index.htm. SEV tools are misleading. .com is a location not a page, only index.htm is a page.

Thanks much. The response from the SEV confused me as I couldn't resolve what was being told with what I researched and understood about the matter. Besides, starting off confused never helps.

Johnny B.

That quote is simply saying that /if/ the analysis tool finds errors in your index page it will report them twice because that page has two addresses, for example, www.talkgraphics.com and www.talkgraphics.com/index.php.

Web servers conventionally show the index page if you just type in the domain name to make the address simpler for visitors to remember and type in.

Phil