Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default My first web site design

I love the intuitive nature of this software. The photos across the bottom will be replaced with better ones when I get them later this week or early next week.

One thing I changed from the original design was I removed the popup layers I had on each of the four floor plans and replaced them with popup photos. A few folks in my test group couldn't figure out how to click away the popup layer image. To me, it's pretty simple, but I figured I would change it to a popup photo that has the "X" to close the image.

After I published, I was enlightened to the matter of screen resolution. My laptop is 1280x800, so that's what I designed to without considering 1024x768. I may have to redesign to the smaller resolution so people don't have to scroll L-R. I understand there are almost as many 1024's out there as 1280's.

Thanks for the comments,

Ron
    http://www.thenormandyapartments.com/

Default Re: My first web site design

Looks very effective and easy to navigate.

Gary,

Not sure what you are referring to when you say it is easy to navigate. If you click on any of the links (View Floor Plans, Contact Us, Rental Application) there is no way to get back to home page other than using back button (or to any of the other pages without first having to return to homepage). I would say the naviagtion needs some work.

Also, I think the Location, Common Areas & Units section HEADERS should either be left or center justified instead of right justified.
    Last edited by BQ; 07 October 2010 at 05:12 PM.

I couldn't find a way around NOT having to use the back arrow. I agree with BQ on this; it's cumbersome. There must be a way around this. To my eye, the justified right headings are pleasing. I know it's unusual and therefore risky. I'll ask my test group about this specifically.

Thank you both for your time in commenting.

Edit: I know this is a very basic, one page, no frills site with a bunch of popup photos, but I don't think the building needs anything more.

Ron
    Last edited by Bellwells; 09 October 2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added line.

I agree, navigation is in fact quite poor. The 'View Floor Plans' & 'Rental Application' links simply download PDF files without any warning to the user that a PDF will download (even if it opens in a browser window via the Adobe plugin, it still has to download to your PC first). I prefer to see some sort of indication that this will happen.

My suggestion would be to set the PDF link target to _blank (Open in) in the Web Properties so at least the visitor doesn't loose the home page.
    You could also add a TITLE popup (Mouse-over tab, Show popup text) with the message 'PDF FILE' so at least you know the link goes to a PDF.

I also find the page a little dull, I think the main text could be several shades lighter.

Those headings are unusual, certainly not an ideal way to catch the eye of a native English reader.

Thank you for your very helpful and critical comments, sledger. It seems like I'm in the minority on the location of the headings, which means I should probably change it. I appreciate the comment regarding the pdf files. It never occurred to me that visitors might not like to download without knowing what to expect. Of course, this makes sense. I'll work on that and play around with a lighter text.

The last thing I want is a dull site, so I appreciate all the helpful comments from the knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Ron