Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara & PS help?

I am running into a problem and I hope someone out there can help me. I made a .GIF with a transparent bg in Xara and every time I try to bring it into PS I am unable to do anything to it. The layers and filters are shaded and cannot be used and whenever I try to copy and paste it to a new canvas I get a gray bg. Does anyone know why this is? Thanks in advance.
    IP

I am running into a problem and I hope someone out there can help me. I made a .GIF with a transparent bg in Xara and every time I try to bring it into PS I am unable to do anything to it. The layers and filters are shaded and cannot be used and whenever I try to copy and paste it to a new canvas I get a gray bg. Does anyone know why this is? Thanks in advance.
    IP

Open the image as if it were a PSD project, so that it is on it's own layer.

Click Image/Mode, and see what Mode it is in, probably Indexed. Click Image/Mode/RGB, and you should be able to add layers, use filters, etc. Now you can also select it and drag and drop into another image, without it changing. (make sure the image you are putting it into is also RGB.)

For some reason, sometimes Photoshop opens images in Indexed mode or Grayscale mode. I have never figured out the reasoning behind this.

In Indexed mode, you can't add layers, use filters, and many other actions.

You can also work in CMYK mode, but CMYK is used mostly for color correction and print work. I use it to color correct photos, and then I switch back to RGB to 'Save For Web' my web photos.

It's a minor annoyance once you get used to it. It's a bug I wish Adobe would fix. PS should open ALL image files as RGB unless the user states otherwise.

Dale

[This message was edited by Dale Landry on April 11, 2002 at 13:11.]
    IP

Thanks for info, Dale.
    IP