Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Your suggestion regarding changing my website screen size.

Hello all!

I understand the fact that Xara is a wysiwyg format designer for website creation and not dynamic. I had designed my site with Extreme 4 with a page size of 1024 X 768 with a black border surrounding each page.

To get with the times, what would you recommend I do to not show white emptiness on larger resolutioned screens such as 1280 X 1024 yet stay viewable for those using a 1024 X 768 format? Is there some current resolutions I should really be considering? I've tried to get my answer on my own and can't find the solution I'm looking for. I've always appreciated the support this board has provided in the past and I thank you now for it as well.

Metro

Default Re: Your suggestion regarding changing my website screen size.

To be brutally honest, there is no way you can cater for all people all the time with anything other than liquid layouts (percentage sized) html..
    Just because some have large monitors doesn't mean they will be viewing your website (or any website) with their browser window maximised to fit the entire monitor size.. I'm one such person as a matter of fact - and I know many people with 24" 1920x1200 res (like me) or larger monitor resolutions who NEVER have their browser at full screen, it simply isn't necessary. The point of large monitors isn't to fill it with one single web page, that's a waste.
    Xara have a choice of page sizes for websites, find one that suits you or make your own to please yourself. Design and content is far more important than whether it fills most people screens...

The browser draws the stretchy white areas around your page and you can tell it to use a different colour in Xtreme/Designer Pro/WebDesigner 6 by dragging and dropping a colour onto the pasteboard.

Since you have used a black border already, dragging black onto the pasteboard would give you a continuous background where you "can't see the join".

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 03 October 2010 at 05:53 AM.

Hi metro

This may help to decide on page size for browsers - a previous in a previous thread i started or was a part ( cant remember ) came up with this http://webdesign.about.com/od/webdes...a/aa041607.htm

If you change your page color, the background will be the same color in X4. You can always fill the page with a different colored rectangle and place your text over the rectangle to achieve a two color effect.

Thank you everyone! I will assess as far as the resolution size and change the pasteboard colour to black. Grateful for everyones input so quickly.

Metro