Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Having problem when uploading to ftp site for browsing

I'm new to web designing. Xara is first program I've ever used. I love it and have designed a 30 page site (clone of another site I had another design for me) but when I publish and export the files, I'm not getting anything useable. If I look at the .htm files in my browser they look just as they were designed, but when I look at the same files after they have been uploaded to the ftp site, they appear all black, no copy to be read. I can see the outline of what looks like boxes on the left, and at the bottom bright and clear it reads "designed in xara" I use filezilla to upload to the ftp site. When I tried doing it in xara, nothing would upload, server wouldn't recognize it. I'm sure I'm not doing something that is elementary. The web designer who did my original site doesn't know xara. He says the "paths" are all screwed up. He doesn't know what to do to help. So I'm pleading my case to the pros. What do I need to do to fix this. I want to have some fun.

Default Re: Having problem when uploading to ftp site for browsing

Aside from uploading your index.htm with Filezilla, are you also uploading the index_htm_files folder?
    This folder contains all the resource files that the .htm file calls (images, .css and .js etc)
    Without that, you won't see your design.

Welcome to TalkGraphics Ray

Do as Steve advises and everything should be fine. Also, you may need to upload your files to a sub directory, such as public_html. If this is your first time uploading files, check with your ISP to see if you are putting your files and folder into the correct directory.

Just purchased Web Designer6 - I bought a Unix Server account with Network Solutions. Everything is new - program and server. Went into WD6 selected the template Photographic which gave me a few beautiful pages to begin with. Ok - I plugged in my name. Selected publish and filled in the server name - user name - password - hit publish. Was advised to export to local drive - so I sent it to my desk top. Resubmitted. Access denied. Called Network Solutions who never heard of Web Designer6 - They asked if this program is Windows or Unix compatible?

If you can connect to your host using an FTP client with the same settings as you tried in Web Designer 6 then you will be able to in WD6 also - there is zero difference, both use the same protocols. If you received 'Access denied' message it's likely because something was wrong with one of the connection details (typo or CAPSLOCK on).

They asked if this program is Windows or Unix compatible?
    Invalid question. Web Designer creates valid markup. Matters not whether someone at NS has heard of Web Designer 6, irrelevant.

I can connect with filezilla but not by entering ftp://...... to do so I have to use ftpes://......
    I found out about ftpes thru a google search, but I don't really understand what's behind it all.
    If tryping to just enter the ftp address I can't connect with the server, only when I put ftpes.

It is uploaded and contains all the images, css, js, etc. I don't have a public_html file like the other responder suggested. Should I put all these files in the public file.

I'm not sure whether you have uploaded the contents of the index_htm_files FOLDER into the public folder or just the index_htm_files FOLDER along with it's contents. If the former, then this is wrong.

In your public root folder (normally named /public_html/ but some hosts name it differently - this is a folder, NOT a file) you must have ONLY the index.htm file. The index_htm_files FOLDER must be placed along side the index.htm file but all the graphic, js and css files must remain within the index_htm_files FOLDER.

Network Solutions has a htdocs folder which is where you files need to go. And the ftp address is coded and not your actual web address.Something like 03lo3f7.netsolhost.com So you would be uploading to 03lo3f7.netsolhost.com/htdocs/

I have over a dozen sites hosted with Network Solutions and I have never had any issues either with ftp or publishing from Web Designer or Designer 6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	publish.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	76960  

Let me provide more information to see if what another web designer told me to do is all wrong when working in Xara. The original designer of my website did it in html. I recently learned how to use Xara and recreated it in Xara and added so much more to it. When I told him I wanted to publish the new site, he set up a file in my ftp called XARA. Instead of my publishing the files to a file named public_html, they were uploaded to a file named XARA. The information for the site the way the webdesigner created it is at the ftp site, and the public_html file is information on his files for the website. Could that somehow be confusing or conflicting with what I'm trying to do with the files I have uploaded into this Xara file.