Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Constraining Page Elements

Hi, all

I was wondering if it's possible to only vertically adjust the graphics panels on a web designer template. Specifically the extruded graphic panel on every page of the Social Networker theme. This panel can be drug by its control handles, but it expands horizontally as you increase its vertical length. My question is this: How do you lengthen this panel (so more text may be added) while constraining the horizontal size?

I've tried different Shift, Alt, and Control chords and can't seem to get this to work.

Further, why doesn't WD6 automatically extend the page length and accompanying graphical elements when text exceeds the rather short length of the default? This seems like a glaring lack of usability to me.

And yes, everything is unlocked on the pages I'm trying to do this on.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Doc

Default Re: Constraining Page Elements

Anyone have any ideas here?
    Last edited by doceye; 29 September 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Hi Doc,
    If you select the text tool you will get red control handles then you should be able to drag the text box while keeping one side constrained.

If its the background image you want to change make sure the little lock icon is off Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	76911
    Last edited by jamesd; 29 September 2010 at 09:36 PM.

Duplication.
    Last edited by doceye; 29 September 2010 at 11:47 PM.

James,

Thanks for responding.

It's not the text box, it's the background image behind the text box I can't re-size. If you look at the Social Networker template in WD6 you'll see there's a long vertical box that has "feet" on at the bottom. These feet are in a gradient to give the impression of this box standing out away from the page. Sort of like a billboard.

That's the thing I can't re-size. I can grab the handles on the bottom of the box and drag it larger. But the problem, and this is key, is that it expands both vertically and horizontally. What I'm trying to do is lengthen this part of the page so I can enter more text than the default template allows.

This has become a maddening irritation to me. No keystroke (Alt, Cntrl, or Shift) or chord is allowing me to re-size this graphical background box to accommodate entering more text. And again ... I only want to extend this box's length; I don't want the box to expand horizontally.

I can't believe I'm the only one who's had this problem. And using the absolutely horrible search function on the forum, nor poring over the manuals and help files has given me an answer.

This should be click and drag ... done. With, at the most, one other keystroke to accomplish.

This is what gets me about Xara products. The bassackwards way some of the tools and functionality work.

Can someone please help me here?

Okay, maybe I'm a dummy. And if this is a common knowledge thing, then I'll fully own that appellation.

The trick to resizing BG graphics on either a horizontal or vertical plane is to unlock the itsy-bitsy "Scale" lock on the tool bar. Then you can drag to lengthen (or widen) these boxes to your heart's content.

In my defense, I finally saw this mentioned in the "Scaling (resizing) objects" area of the help file. Within that help file is mention of the "Lock Aspect button." This is how you scale these boxes; you have to unlock the scaling function. I'd like to point out that the lock used to unlock scaling is the size of a particularly starved and diminutive flea.

Regardless ... I trudge on. WD6 is to me like that girlfriend you could never figure out in college. You just knew there was something special lurking under that exterior, but you'd be danged if you can figure out how to get there.