Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: OSX

Question OSX

I've been using Xara since it was distributed by Corel. I've since switched to OSX and use Parallels, but sometimes the printing does not start. That's not anyone here's problem, but it does cause me to ask: Are there plans to port to OSX? If so, when? If not, why not, and would you reconsider?

Default Re: OSX

There were plans before Xara was acquired by Magix. I am not sure at this point but my best guess is no. You are not alone. There have been quite a few users who have moved to the Mac and would like to see a Mac version. We can still hope.

hello, i know this answer very WELL! I already tried "Paralles" it does work, but i found this to work better. for me atleast.

i too switched to the MAC side and will never look back. Although I was worried about losing XARA! Believe it or not that was the only program that was holding me back.

See if this will help.
    Mac Pro with 4 Hard Drives Bays.
    I set Bay 2 for Windows only.(you will need a copy of windows to install. I stayed with XP.)
    I did not partition this drive. It's 100% Windows.
    That way if there is any problems with windows (viruses or what not) i just replace a drive.($299 1TB) I will do that all day long. I do not want windows near my mac.

Now i do have to click the "boot camp" button to switch OS but i can live with that. but the really cool thing is i can access that Hard Drive from the Mac side.

everything stays the same when i print (colors)

it may seem like this is a pain in the neck, but i do all my work in xara, save as jpeg or png avi movie etc... then go to the Mac side and i can use CS5 Master Collection...Photoshop, After Effects, Final Cut Pro etc

I now get the BEST of Both Worlds

There is a SUBSTANTIAL design community on Mac and always has been. Now that mainstream users are moving to Mac (nearly everyone I know now) it seems crazy that Xara does not offer a Mac native version. Even if it can't perform as well, forcing users to use virtualization on the Mac, and buy Windows just to run Xara is crazy.

I've been a dedicated Xara customer since 1998 - before it was even part of Corel. I hope Magix sees the market opportunity. I would go nuts if they announced even the plan to support OS X in a few years.

I can dream.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

You are not the only person who has made this request.

Unfortunately it is not a simple matter of porting over the application. It requires pretty much a total rebuilding of the program.

Add to this the fact that Adobe pretty much owns the Mac market, it just makes more sense for Xara to focus on their core market, Windows.

There was a Mac version in development before the Magix buyout. But all work on that front seems to have been suspended.