Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: New Xara crash

I wrote a text.
    Applied a rectangular mould
    Detached the mould
    Clicked convert line to shape

Xara froze and then a message came, stating that my HDD was full and proposed to get rid of the unnecessary data.

THIS IS FRIGHTFUL. Instead of finding a new nugget, I nearly emptied my HDD.

Luckily I got out with Ctrl Alt Delete. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

I wrote a text.
    Applied a rectangular mould
    Detached the mould
    Clicked convert line to shape

Xara froze and then a message came, stating that my HDD was full and proposed to get rid of the unnecessary data.

THIS IS FRIGHTFUL. Instead of finding a new nugget, I nearly emptied my HDD.

Luckily I got out with Ctrl Alt Delete. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I didn't get the message but Xara froze and also had to ctrl-alt-delete to get out of that jam...
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

Eric

As regards the message after the freeze, Xara X has no such behaviour, this must be the system or utility software which checks for low virtual memory etc and attempts to remedy it.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Of course XaraX can't produce this message by itself. Still, it was there and I still have 1?5 GB free on drive C:\.

The fact remains that unfortunately I'm not the only one that has had a freeze and a forced CtrlAltDel.

This doesn't hinder normal workflow of course (I think), but it is in any case a blocked road and it's best to warn the others not to take it.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Eric,

looooong time ago I posted several message saying that professionals should use a professional OS - either Win NT 4 or W2K Pro.

It appears you are one of the pros who does not listen :-))

Ask Klaus - he just switched to W2K Pro and is glad he did this step to ultimate stability, reliability and speed.

<sigh>
    jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I can indeed confirm that I switched from Win98 to W2K Professional about a month ago, and it's a great OS indeed! It's Windows for - well, for Professionals. I only wish I had switched a year ago, it would have saved me tons of time and troubles. The about $200 its costs is *nothing* compared to what it will save any - well, Professional.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

As Fujitsu just introduced a 100Gb hard disk, it seems quite illogical to me that someone would have 175 GB free on it's C drive ... If that is 175 Mb, I'd say it would explain a lot. So please, check you're free space on the hard drive ...

Instead of , I inadvertedly wrote a ? as these are on the same button, and I was in Shift for the numbers. So it is 1,5GB on C.

Jens, I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude: I have no problems with my 98SE and no crashes whatever since februari and this is probably due to the new detonator drivers from NVIDIA, the freeze was Xara's and after ctrlAltDel I could re-open X and continue working asthere was NO Win problem at all, and we'll see how good 2000 is when XP comes on the market. As usual, this will be THE upgrade that doesn't crash anymore etc. Like they said one thousand times before.

And no, I see no reason to change my OS right now. You were right with the TIFF, but the best advice I got came from Klaus when he mentioned the Lasersoft software for my scanner.

Win98 behaves like it should and Xara must run under WIN, which it does. The strenght of Win2000 is that you have to introduce everything manually and that it is slower on installing etc. Perhaps it is also Xara's speed that causes some trouble from time to time? Who's perfect?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Erik,

it's your precious time you are wasting. And no, the new detonator driver for nVidia is perfect. www.reactorcritical.com has the best ones.

BTW, we purchased a new Athlon monster with ME pre-installed. I installed several apps and tested the OS: it crashed so many times, that I formatted the hard drives, went to a store, grabbed a w2k pro US edition, installed it, and voila, the SAME apps that crashed with ME are running smooth as silk.

And please don't compare W2K Pro with Win XP - XP is a real drag, a never ending nightmare. Something for gamers, but not for professionals. If MS shouldn't include options to turn off those nobrainer gimmick features, I will format all drives of all my machines and switch to LINUX. Promised. Would be a good bet for XARA to have a LINUX version ready in 6 months - they could make more profits with it then ever before, because there is NOTHING comparable in the LINUX world.

Hello Xara Team, are you listening?? If so, this your chance to repeat the success of the Acorn times 10 fold.

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--