Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newcomer to Web Designer 6 needs help with linking button to imported text panel

I have my new site just about finished. I can link a button to another page on the site, but I can't figure out how to link a button to an imported text panel (e.g., rounded corner 1 from gallery designs). When I mouse over a "more info" button, I want a pop up text box to appear such as "rounded corner one". I have spent several hours at this and I just need help. Thanks!

PHD12

Default Re: Newcomer to Web Designer 6 needs help with linking button to imported text panel

Open the Page & Layer gallery and create a new layer for the text panel (above the mouseover layer), name it something like 'text-panel'
    Then link your 'more info' text to show the popup layer named 'text-panel' from Web Properties>>Mouse-over [tab]>>Show popup layer

Default Re: Newcomer to Web Designer 6 needs help with linking button to imported text panel

Thank you. I understand what you said, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get anything placed on the new layer. I have tried to import a sample text panel from the galleries into the new layer by having that layer be selected, but I can't get anything placed on the layer. How can I open a new layer and put text into it? That's where I am stuck.

Thank you!

PHD12

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

If your text panel is on the wrong layer then:

Cut (Ctrl+X)
    Select the correct layer in the Layer gallery
    Paste in place (Ctrl+Shift+V)

I hope that helps.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by PHD12 View Post
    .... but I can't get anything placed on the layer. How can I open a new layer and put text into it? That's where I am stuck.
    OK, this is quite simple once you know how.

Here's a mini-tutorial to help you out:

MINI TUTORIAL

to: Bcire68 and Sledger

Got your messages and figured it out in 2 minutes. Thanks so much! I have one question left and I am ready to publish. I made an animated GIF as per the Help tutorial, but it doesn't "run" when I preview the page. Do GIFS run in preview mode? If they should, then I think I am having trouble with where to export the file to. I had no trouble with the Help tutorial on how to make the GIF and I can run it. But after I export it, I can't get it to run when I preview. In the help tutorial at the very end it says to "to save the animation, choose File>Export Animated GIF. I presumed that "Animated GIF" is a filename of my choice, but in what directory or location to you have to save it?

PHD12

You'll be better off starting a new topic thread regarding animated gifs rather than going off topic in this one.

Create a rectangle the same size as your GIF animation.

In the Web Properties > Placeholder tabbed section, check Replace with Graphic File.

Browse to the location of your animation, select the file and press Open.

ok, not to worry - seems that going OT is fine now

Gary's method is fine and works - however this is no longer necessary in Web Designer 6 (or Designer Pro 6) which is the version I see you have listed in your profile.
    You can simply drag'n'drop an animated gif directly into the WD6 open document, Xara creates the HTML and imports the animation automatically.