Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello,

has anyone testet the export to Adobe Ilustrator files in Painter 6?
    I always get a file wchich is only 1k and can't neither be opened in other grafic tools like fireworks nor imported into flash 4.
    Can anybody help me, please.

T:-)M
    IP

Hello,

has anyone testet the export to Adobe Ilustrator files in Painter 6?
    I always get a file wchich is only 1k and can't neither be opened in other grafic tools like fireworks nor imported into flash 4.
    Can anybody help me, please.

IP

Tom,

Using a Painter 6 file with a Pattern-filled Canvas and one Shape "layered" above the Canvas, I did the following and had the following results:

In Painter 6, Export to Adobe Illustrator (file size was 3kb).

Tried to open in Fireworks 2, would not open, noticed that the extension was "AI", renamed it to "ai", still would not open.

Opened in Illustrator 8, Canvas background missing but the Shape was there and editable.

Tried to open in Photoshop 5.0, would not open.

In Painter, Save As Photoshop PSD (file size was 1,824 kb)

Opened in Fireworks 2, both Pattern-filled Canvas and Shape were there, but Shape was not editable (it acted like a Painter Layer rather than a Shape that could be edited in Painter using the Shape Selection tool to move control points and handles).

Opened in Illustrator 8, image was flattened showing both the Pattern-filled Canvas and Shape, no Layers or editable Shapes, just as if it were a TIFF or JPG file.

Opened in Photoshop 5, Pattern-filled Canvas intact, Shape above the Canvas but not editable. It behaved like a Painter Layer.

On a hunch, while still in Photoshop 5, I did Export Paths to Illustrator.

In Illustrator 8, I opened the file and saw nothing but crop marks. I dragged the Direct Selection tool over the center of the area indicated by crop marks and there was my shape! I then gave it a Stroke, added a Fill, and pulled the control points and handles just to make sure it was "still alive". It was!

That's all I can think of to try, short of cranking up Corel Draw, which I avoid at almost any cost. *g*

Another factor may be incompatible software versions. For instance, if one company has upgraded their software while another hasn't for a while or is still working on a version soon to be released, the first company's software will/may be ahead of the second company. When a file is exported or saved from the first company's older version, that older version doesn't "know about" the changes that have been made in the other company's upgrade because they occurred after the first company's software was created and released.
    Hope this helps a little. I think half the time the key ingredient using software is the "detective gene".

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Only shapes are exported from P6 as an .ai file. For me the file will will open in AI7 and AI9. AI9 will open .cdr files also, which is great since I use CD8 Mac all the time.

stecyk66c
    IP

Stecyk66, Jinny,

That was amazing stuff y'all posted to answer the question. Myself, I use Xara2 and Corel Draw 7,8, and 9 (do own Illustrator just not used to the Illustrator paradigm. . . seems to my limited experience that Corel can do so much more than illustrator 8. but as I said my exp is limited in illustrator 8. Don't own Flash so I'm no help there . . .)

Thanks for taking the time to post an answer. Just wonderful.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hi Tom,
    I just checked the Painter Manual I think the answer to your question can be found on Page 380 for Importing from Illustrator and Page 395 for Exporting Shapes to Illustrator.
    Good Luck,
    Greg.
    IP

Hello,

thank You for all the answers.
    You're right it is only possible to export shapes as an AI-file - what a pitty.....

IP

Tom,

All is not lost. You can save the raster element of your image and Place it in your Illustrator document on a separate Layer beneath the Shapes.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP