Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing PNG files Designer Pro / Xara 3D

Hi Guys,

I'm probably missing something obvious here... but no matter what I try I can't seem to get either Designer Pro or Xara 3D to recognise the separate elements within my PNG file. On importing the file I'll get solid square representing the transparent background, but that's about all.

I've attached the file if anybody fancies taking a look.

Thanks,

Paul.

P.S. This software really needs to be Mac compatible. Switching between the two is driving me mad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	76759  

Default Re: Importing PNG files Designer Pro / Xara 3D

.PNG files are raster (bitmap) not a vector format with groups of objects which can be separated.
    In other words, it's a rectanglular bitmap with white and yellow pixels, no individual elements there.

Looks fairly straight forward to redraw in Designer Pro as vector anyway.

Hi

that's a fireworks png and will import into designer as a flattened image only

fireworks png supports layers [its a special format]

designer does not, it supports only standard png format

unless its vector you will still need to trace it - if fireworks has vector drawing tools then exporting vector objects, in a vector format designer can import [eg pdf], has the best chance of working assuming you are using an up to date version of fireworks
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 September 2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: add last line
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I just opened the file OK in Designer 6 Pro. - no white background.

Christine

yes, sorry, for me flattened just means layers merged, it doesnt have to be to white background, probably lax terminology on my part

I think alphacrust has imported the png into xara3d - that would give a rectangular shape, as transparent background or not, raster images are always 'box-shaped'

also see here:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...Pro-to-Xara-3D
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 September 2010 at 06:14 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the input guys.

After a bit of tweaking I've managed to sort things out. Ended up transferring the PNG into Illustrator and re-drawing.

Created the same logo a few years back which I could have sworn started it's life as a Fireworks PNG file. Probably not... I've got that many different versions I've lost track.

Learnt something new in the process of sorting it all out, so I can't complain. Just need to start using illustrator a lot more than I do.

Paul.

It would be a pretty simple thing to draw that in Xara. Draw a rectangle, clone it, drag the clone over to the right (center the two vertically if you need to, but using the arrow keys to move thing makes this step unnecessary), use the Blend tool with 12 steps to get a row of 14 of them. Convert to editable shapes (but don't ungroup). Clone the row, move it up (centering everything horizontally if necessary). Blend with 4 steps to get 6 columns. Convert all to editable shapes and ungroup all. Then delete the extra rectangles. Throw some text at the bottom and you're done. 5 minute tops.

-- Ben