Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X-box ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The design showing the disc inside...is there something to protect those visable portions of the disc? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This is why I was suggesting the transparent addition to the package. I suspect I was misunderstood as meaning that the whole package should consist of transparent plastic. But what I had in mind was just adding the plastic between the arms of the X. Thus, the CD would be protected (which would be necessary even after shipping) without detracting from the nifty design.

Glen.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

... cool design Wayne, and beautiful illustration! Look forward to seeing your next version.

Great job on the shelving too, looks like a complex drawing to put together.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

I really do like your X box. Not just artistic and illustrative quality but the way you presented your idea.

The shelving is good too. I do some illustrative stuff. Do you draw entirely in Xara or do you use another application and then import that into Xara and finish it off?

Woops,...
    gotta stay on top of these things. Didn't know there was a second page either. Thanks for viewing my graphic.

Groweb and Bill- In answer to your inquiries. I started with the idea of a plastic case around a cardboard box for retail, but it essentially, took on a life of its own. So I went with whatever, and got lost in a nice place,.. I guess. Thanks for asking. I like the idea of wrapping the cd in one of those "impossible to open" plastic cases, though.

A quick note: I noticed (shortly after finishing, and before posting), that the bevel (countersink)that holds the the round insert (and the insert itself), isn't quite flanged deep enough... and the wing nut isn't tight enough. Details,.. to polish.

To John Clements -

Xara is fantastic. I do all my sketching in it! Matter fo fact, I do as much (or darn near everything) I can in it. And, I mean it applies to process work I do too.

The X-box image is pure Xara ... top to bottom.

Here's the file for anyone who would like to get a closer look.

Incidently, I wanted to publish it as a web file on my server (and link it), but much to my chagrin, it won't support X's new toys. What a shame ...

All the best to everyone,

Wayne

UPDATED (Did I say wooden? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] - I meant cardboard,.. sorry)

[This message was edited by "W" on June 16, 2002 at 12:08.]
    Attached Files Attached Files

W:

I sure would be interested in knowing some of basic techniques you use in producing what I guess is an axonometric projection of the shelving.

Also, regarding the perspective of the X-box. Do you just "eye-ball" the angles, use actual vanishing points (if so how do you draw to the vanish points), or do you use the perpective mold somehow?

Hope I'm not asking for too much.

Regards, John

No bother at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also, regarding the perspective of the X-box. Do you just "eye-ball" the angles, use actual vanishing points (if so how do you draw to the vanish points), or do you use the perpective mold somehow? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's no question that using vanishing points is useful. I'm just too lazy to do the prep work by anchoring the vectors for use as snapping points. It is useful in cases where I might want to exaggerate the F.O.V. but, for the most part, the vanishing point is in my head. (metaphor intended) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I sure would be interested in knowing some of basic techniques you use in producing what I guess is an axonometric projection of the shelving. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

About perspective and, in particular, as it applies to the shelving. I use a not-so-scientific approach. I found that using real perspective (vanishing point "dots") gave me a decidedly - "unreal" look. In the end, I just wing it.
    For example, the wire shelving is mainly line blends (lifesaver). Over the course of drawing, I'll maintain the blends (and compound blends) as much as possible in case I need to adjust anything if the drawing (and perspective) starts to look "whack". I'll just CTRL-click an object and/or a control point here and there to get it back on track "visually" speaking. Sometimes I'll use "on-the-fly" visual aids like a box to snap to but, that's about it. I used to do alot of perspective pencil drawings of boxed lettering when I was in grade school.

I started drawing this type wire product in corelDRAW before I found out about Xara. I found Corel's object layer (and drawing layer) to be invaluable. When X came out, I was happy to see the layer gallery. It wasn't as flexible as the object layer (to me at the time)- but, now that I'm used to it, it's just as good. I mention this because it's crucial to keeping object hierarchy in this type of drawing.

I post the graphic example knowing that many of you know or can relate to the concept. In other words, I know I'm not breaking new ground here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Regards,
    Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desktop.gif 
Views:	144 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	6920  

W,

Thanks for taking the time to explain your method.

I use that technique too. It works well except when another component has to be added to and integrated "in between" the blended objects. Then things have to be broken apart and have their stacking order shuffled (I tend to be reluctant and hesistate when breaking apart "intelligent" objects such as blends or envelopes). I do wish Xara X had some extended object stacking commands like "in front of" or "behind" like other vector programs.

As you know, there is more one way to skin a cat. Also, as we find a method we like, one tends to follow that path, but then forget or overlook older methods which may proove to be just as useful (or better) in new situtations.

I know exactly what you are talking about when you mentioned snapping to a vanishing point. One thing someone showed me a long time ago was to draw a 3-point (2-segment) line. The middle-node is snapped to and a never leaves the vanishing point. Only the two end nodes are ever repositioned along a vertical-axis or moved to a new vert-axis. If a new object needs to be drawn, then Ctrl-C and Ctrl-Shift-V the 2-segment line and reposition the 2-endnodes. This way one does not have to constantly change views between the vanishing point and the object being drawn. These 2-sided lines can be placed in the guides layers or stored in a user defined "constrution" layer.

**I wish I had the skill to do eyeball-perspectives. I never had any exposure in how to develop those skills. Do you know of any reference materials you could recommend?

Another thing that I liked was the way you color coded the explode views with a background tinted to match the parent component. I usually color match the objects them selves in the exploded view to match the parent object. Your style is a very attractive approach and one, if you don't mind, I might try myself. : )

Its good to find people who do similar things but may have different solutions.

I hope we will have opportunities to continue sharing things in the future.

GOOD TO HAVE YOU IN THE FORUM.

Best regards,

John Clements

[This message was edited by John S. Clements on June 16, 2002 at 12:02.]

My pleasure, your welcome.
    I'll also add something I don't say often enough (or forget to) because I may sometimes take it for granted.
    Thanks to all the helpful and kind people here who post advice and excellent works.

W