Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default basic page size on web templates

1) I have the impression that all the XARA web templates produce a basic 800 px wide page, which I guess will fit on pretty much any screen. However I've noticed that many commercial websites which have extremely high readership e.g. BBC.co.uk seem to have wider basic pages (looks like 1024 wide?) which clearly gives 25% more usable area per page. Is there any consensus that this is becoming the default as most computers now are produced with better resolution? Or can anyone point me to a discussion of the relatives merits of 800 vs 1024?

2) Are there any XARA templates which are 1024 wide?

Thanks
    Last edited by slast; 16 September 2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: found answer to third question myself!

Default Re: basic page size on web templates

(answer to question 1) It is all very subjective. How much content do you want to put on one page. Since there are so many different sized monitors in the world, do you want to design a page that will fit into all sizes without scrolling? Or do you want your page to look really terrific on a 28" monitor? 800 pixels represents a small laptop computer. And then of course there is the matter of small wireless devices like the iPhone and the iPad that can load web pages. A site that looks like gangbusters on a 24" monitor may get a bit small on my iPhone (if I had one). So, you need to think who will be viewing your website and how easy or hard do you want to make it for her or him to see your content.

(answer to question 2) If you want a larger template, increase the page size (right click on the page, select Page Options > Page Size and make your page as large as you want. Then modify the template to fit your new page size.

Default Re: basic page size on web templates

good thoughts, thanks
    Steve