Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

I had a question which I hope someone could answer on this WebStyle... Where do the templates come from? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Curious, as I've really been thinking of selling basic web page templates myself. Would love to know if there was an avenue to sell them via Xara. Are the designs bought outright, or do you get a commission on sales?

Thanks!

Push yourself to notice the extraordinary in the ordinary.

Irene M. Kraus
    www.design-comp.com
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

... your favorite graphics software developement company. I bought WebStyle 2 today after receiving an email from XaraClub. I only tinkered with WebStyle 1, and will probably only tinker with WebStyle 2. However, I see any source of income for Xara is beneficial in the long run. At $69US for full product or $29US for upgrade, it's a bargain.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

not Webstyle 2

Ross, I think you've got some good constructive ideas ... it could be a win-win for both Xara and skilled template designers.

Hi Jens,

I feel you are being too harsh in your reaction.
    Because I don't see any problem in cheapo webdesign-packets at all for us.

We've been talking about prices lately. A customer that won't pay your price won't pay half your price as well. Because he is simply NOT YOUR CUSTOMER.

I hear this every day: "But you can buy <name of webeditor> for <low price> in every megastore. Why would you charge me so much for a webpage ??"

I tell them to the face that I can afford Excel, but that does not make me an accountant.
    I also can afford a hammer, but that does not make me a blacksmith.
    Or your own example: I can afford a drill, but that does not make me a dentist.

There is ALWAYS somebody cheaper than me. Sometimes FAR cheaper. Still, I get as much jobs as I can handle.

You are selling YOURSELF, not your software. If the customer trusts, that you can do it he will pick you.

And if this customer is a penny-pincher, both of us just won't get it.

You are a far better designer than I am. My main focus is the concept. Marketing if you want.
    They can't take that away from me with Webstyler. And they can't take your abilities away with it as well.

There will always be people that go the cheap way. Be Webstyler or not.
    Even Adobe tried their luck with ImageStyler two years ago. It's now history.

When I started my company, more than three years ago, I charged a lot less than I charge now.
    Those days, two offers out of three came to an order.
    Nowadays 1-2 out of five offers are accepted. But I make more turnover than before, and I have the time to deliver much higher quality and better service.
    I never can and never want to compete with students, me-too designers and Webstyler-owners.

But most important: Why would you leave the forum because of that ??
    Your contributions are very much appreciated and we are all Xara(-X) users, aren't we ??
    Let's hush up on - what's the name - and concentrate on XX, like we did before.

Your friend

Wolfgang

P.S.: I remember a saying from a TV-technician when he was asked why the bill was so high:

"One replaced transistor: 2 bucks, knowing which: 50 bucks" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jay

I am not unsympathetic with what you are saying.

You and I have been in the design and advertising business long enough to see many changes. The most major of these changes was the introduction of "desktop publishing" software. Suddenly every non-trained designer was a designer. And we all groaned when we saw some of the junk people were putting together themselves and proudly showing the world as their creations. (Ugh). But did desktop publishing software put the good designers out of business? Only those who could not adapt to the new way of working.

When my wife and I had our graphic design company in San Francisco, a lot of our bread and butter work went to untrained designers who could underprice us. I cannot say this did not hurt our business for a while.

But as the saying goes, only the strong survive. And if we are good designers, we repackage our services and we survive. We find higher end services and products to offer our clients that they cannot do themselves.

Stock art and photography was a tremendous threat to all illustrators and photographers. Until they realized the potential of selling one image for $100 50 times makes just as much money as selling one image one time for $5,000. And unlike the one time image, multiple use images can be sold over and over and over and over.

Illustrators started putting together collections of images to market only as stock images.

Xara did not invent the market for inexperienced designers. It has been around for 20 years now. They just have the marketing sense not to put all their eggs in one basket. If Xara increases their profitablility by selling more diverse products to more people, Xara X will ultimately be a better product and we will reap the benefits.

As a Xara X user, I do not feel neglected by Xara. They have produced what I honestly feel is the best drawing application available. And now they are looking to expand their market beyond our relatively small group of design professionals and serious non-professional users.

This is just good business.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    burl me to beehives</a>

I suppose that the rest of the proces is made with a logical (thus simple) scritping language. Shouldn't be hard to use it for someone who know basics of programming.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Gary: "I was about to nominate Jay for the Klaus Nordby Premature Exit Award"
    I wonder what the f... that means??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was referring to a few years back when you were upset (to put it mildly) because you felt the Xara folks were not taking your new feature suggestions for Xara 3 seriously and you said to hell with Xara (or words to that effect) and you were leaving.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

Gary, did you know XaraWebstyle has a logo maker? For only $69 you can create your own professional looking logos. (For the record, I wasn't really that impressed with the logo section.) That's a far cry from $600 - 1200. Isn't Xara harming the logo designer market with this new product??? (For the record, I don't think so!)

XaraWebstyle seems to be a wizard for Xara. It is definately a useful product for those not interested in learning how to create their own graphics.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Gary, I truly understand the concept of 'free' content, 'free' everything - though I would ** LOVE ** and prefer to pay for it.

What I consider an offence is the plain fact that XARA struggles to broaden it's user/customer base. Great, but this is the wrong way.

Just imagine this worst case scenario (and believe me, I've been through this several times in similar situations):

I contact a client to offer my design service. In the second meeting he's going to ask: just curios, which application do you use? My answer: Xara. Silence for 2 minutes. Then: OK, I've seen WebStyle, so you want to tell me to pay THAT MUCH for your services if I can get if with an app for just $ 69? Come on, gimme a break. WebStyle doesn't require any skills, so why in this world should we honor your services...

It's what I call the appreciation of value, which doesn't stop at the developer's door...

The PR, the wording is a slap into the face of professionals who have to feed their families with their job and profession - and yes, some of us DO have small customers, they have to because they have to survive. Remember that not every designer is in the lucky position to work for Sony of America, DaimlerChrysler, Boing, GM, or any other global corp.

Is there a 'quick dentist' kit on the market? No, because it's required that you need a certain kind of education and a certain level of experience. But every asshole can call himself a designer or artist, just because he purchased one of these click-'n-go apps.

Many clients value you on the basis of the apps you are using - we had this thread several weeks ago (Adobe, Macromedia & co...). Xara is not considered to be a professional tool, because it's too cheap. If they would add a price tag of US$ 599, the media would jump on it and claim it to be the challenge for the established corps.

But even worse, now they churn out a product for nobrainers with a lousy PR campaign, promising heaven for accountants, bookkeepers, dentists, stocktraders - you name it.

It's the underlying perception that bothers me: hey dumbass, you don't need to call a designer, we've got the tools for you: cut out the professionals - profits galore (like in international trade: cut out the middleman - you don't need his experience anymore - a biz model that's doomed, but it's too late to step back, because most of the highly specialized companies already folded down).

I just installed two so called 'professional' software packages, just in case a customer should ask which software I'm using - and by no means I will ever mention XARA again - promised! The risk to be valued on the shabby image is too high. I simply don't want to be connected or affiliated to a kids software - see the point? In addition I'm so tired of justifying the tools I'm using...

Something else: I have many excellent (proven and working) ideas how to turn this forum and the XARA sites into highly profitable marketing tools - but no, they are not free.

XARA could easily turn it's web presence into a gold nugget at the end of the rainbow, supplying their customers with orders from all over the world and making a profit on the commission. But what are they doing? Running CHEAP - the ultimate European way of damaging a reputation.

Arts & design galore! Have fun & pls tell XARA to think about repositioning the nobrainer product without slapping their flagship customers into the face. The story goes that some of the old fashioned professionals carry something in them that's called pride.

jens

Before I forget: we had a thread here about image viewers. I sent Kate (XARA marketing) a mail to contact ACD Systems so they can integrate a viewer for XAR files in their apps - they are very successful with their apps, very professional - meaning this could be a real boost and promotion for XARA. Guess what happened: I didn't even get a reply. Arrogance? Blindness to visions? Don't ask me for the reason. Let XARA crawl where they belong - in the kids art market. Seems to be their stone hammered objective.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--