Gary, I truly understand the concept of 'free' content, 'free' everything - though I would ** LOVE ** and prefer to pay for it.

What I consider an offence is the plain fact that XARA struggles to broaden it's user/customer base. Great, but this is the wrong way.

Just imagine this worst case scenario (and believe me, I've been through this several times in similar situations):

I contact a client to offer my design service. In the second meeting he's going to ask: just curios, which application do you use? My answer: Xara. Silence for 2 minutes. Then: OK, I've seen WebStyle, so you want to tell me to pay THAT MUCH for your services if I can get if with an app for just $ 69? Come on, gimme a break. WebStyle doesn't require any skills, so why in this world should we honor your services...

It's what I call the appreciation of value, which doesn't stop at the developer's door...

The PR, the wording is a slap into the face of professionals who have to feed their families with their job and profession - and yes, some of us DO have small customers, they have to because they have to survive. Remember that not every designer is in the lucky position to work for Sony of America, DaimlerChrysler, Boing, GM, or any other global corp.

Is there a 'quick dentist' kit on the market? No, because it's required that you need a certain kind of education and a certain level of experience. But every asshole can call himself a designer or artist, just because he purchased one of these click-'n-go apps.

Many clients value you on the basis of the apps you are using - we had this thread several weeks ago (Adobe, Macromedia & co...). Xara is not considered to be a professional tool, because it's too cheap. If they would add a price tag of US$ 599, the media would jump on it and claim it to be the challenge for the established corps.

But even worse, now they churn out a product for nobrainers with a lousy PR campaign, promising heaven for accountants, bookkeepers, dentists, stocktraders - you name it.

It's the underlying perception that bothers me: hey dumbass, you don't need to call a designer, we've got the tools for you: cut out the professionals - profits galore (like in international trade: cut out the middleman - you don't need his experience anymore - a biz model that's doomed, but it's too late to step back, because most of the highly specialized companies already folded down).

I just installed two so called 'professional' software packages, just in case a customer should ask which software I'm using - and by no means I will ever mention XARA again - promised! The risk to be valued on the shabby image is too high. I simply don't want to be connected or affiliated to a kids software - see the point? In addition I'm so tired of justifying the tools I'm using...

Something else: I have many excellent (proven and working) ideas how to turn this forum and the XARA sites into highly profitable marketing tools - but no, they are not free.

XARA could easily turn it's web presence into a gold nugget at the end of the rainbow, supplying their customers with orders from all over the world and making a profit on the commission. But what are they doing? Running CHEAP - the ultimate European way of damaging a reputation.

Arts & design galore! Have fun & pls tell XARA to think about repositioning the nobrainer product without slapping their flagship customers into the face. The story goes that some of the old fashioned professionals carry something in them that's called pride.

jens

Before I forget: we had a thread here about image viewers. I sent Kate (XARA marketing) a mail to contact ACD Systems so they can integrate a viewer for XAR files in their apps - they are very successful with their apps, very professional - meaning this could be a real boost and promotion for XARA. Guess what happened: I didn't even get a reply. Arrogance? Blindness to visions? Don't ask me for the reason. Let XARA crawl where they belong - in the kids art market. Seems to be their stone hammered objective.

jens g.r. benthien
designer
http://jens.highspeedweb.net