Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Main templates for dynamic content software? Can this be done?

Hey everyone... my first post (though, I'm a long time user of Xara 4,5 and now Designer Pro 6).

Usually, I'm able to figure things out on my own or search this forum for help, this time however, I'm stumped and need some expert advice.

I'm almost finished with my new membership software - will be launching the program in a few weeks.

Challenge: My script is dynamic... meaning, it uses a database to feed content into the main templates (the main site template, squeeze pages and a member's area template).

I've used Xara to create the graphics in the past... then, I slice the graphics and either use CSS or (gasp!) Tables to put them in templates that can be used with my software.

I am about to burn down the CSS house trying to figure out how to get creative templates to work frankly. And... tables have just got to go.

Can I create the templates in Xara and add the tokens for content... which will dynamically be added to the template, using Xara only?

It's just such a shame to lose some of the richness Xara sites have because I have to slice them into less with CSS or Tables and reconstruct them.

Any advice?

I know this might sound confusing... not trying to make it that way. Hopefully, you'll understand what I'm asking well enough to give feedback.

Thanks in advance...

Steve Odette

Default Re: Main templates for dynamic content software? Can this be done?

Hi Steve,

Actually you've posted twice before (March 2009)
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/search.p...st&showposts=1

To your question, check out John Horn's Tweaks. There's a dynamic page tweak which might suit your purposes.

WD5 tweaks
    WD6 tweaks

Thank you very much for your reply.

After posting, I dug deeper and found John's information... though, I stopped at the tweaks. I'll go back and take a look. He did create an interesting dynamic function/page being creative with a footer and background layout. I spent some time looking at it and it might work... not sure.

Yes... I think I did post once or twice before, been quite a while though. I have got to start asking for help more often and offering it as well. Likely, could have saved myself a lot of time just starting here to begin with... I should also be more careful about my memory as well - I'm only 46, but my senior moments keep slipping in way too often lately.

Thanks again....

Hey all... hope John see's this post also, I need some feedback if you have time.

Created a page layout using the dynamic page Tweak - great program! Still, having several challenges - all of which could simply be related to my "duh" and not really being a pro like those of you on here who really rock this software.

Here are my challenges so far:

1. If I use a page width less than my monitor like recommended by Xara - like 950 - I end up with blank white areas on both sides of my website pages. I imagine that those who have larger monitors get larger white gaps. I was under the impression that Xara repeats on the x and y axis - but, if that's true - I am definitely not doing something correctly. Can you help?

2. They dynamic tweak rocks - but I can't figure out how to get my main background area to repeat on the y axis so that it flows downward along with the footer (which works like a charm). I've already added too many layers to the footer trying to fix this, figured it was time to ask the pros for feedback.

3. Page loading time - the first time. I imagine that this is a Xara issue across the board... the main site even has this problem: loading time - watching the graphics appear in little x-boxes like popcorn rolling across the screen - is kinda frustrating. After the first time loading the page, it seems that the cache corrects the issue - so, apparently its the first time only? I'm using .png... but, maybe not as efficiently as I should be? Would appreciate feedback.

4. In my case, because the templates are actually being created to work in my membership software... I have to manually change all of the links to the page after uploading it - or it will not show correctly. This is really a pain - especially when I have to make small changes, upload the changes, then have to change the entire page link-set one at a time. Here is what I mean specifically:

Install directory is html/template.html

Because the images, css, and template are all installed in that directory - the installer assumes that all links much be there also - so the images, css, scripts, etc. show as -- src="template_html_files/png.js" -- or the image file or css link etc. Unfortunately... the page is showing in the root not in the html folder, so the link actually needs to be -- src="html/template_html_files/png.js" -- or the image, css, etc. link.

The preceding html/ is missing and has to manually be added to each graphic. Of course... I could just be doing something wrong - which I hope I am - most of the time, the biggest error is ME in the equation - LOL.

Anyway... I realize that I could add the repeating horizontal image tweak for both the header/background and footer/background and possibly add the the vertical image tweak for the main page content background... but now, we are getting so complicated - Tables in html are starting to look good again! Ugh...

What I think I'm hoping for is someone to say - uhm... you are not doing X correctly, here is how to do it so this isn't an issue anylonger. The XARA websites are really so much easier to create than using CSS or tables - and they offer a much better, more robust design option - I'm trying to get this right so I can teach my clients how to use this software also. However, if it's too complicated - well... back to html tables and basic CSS for me.

I can provide links to two pages using the dynamic script - one long, one short - but before I do, I want to go back to the rules and see the policies on posting links back to our own sites. I realize this would be easier to see if I could post them here... let me know if you are interested in looking at the pages below and I'll find a way to get them to you (can also .zip the entire setup and post it here if that would help.

Thank you for the feedback and help in advance.

Steve

Hey all...

Any additional feedback or advice here?

I posted the links to the pages referenced above at this post;

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...rowswer-and-on....

Don't want to put them here also in case posting those isn't looked upon favorably (I did read the rules and it seems it's ok to post them... but just being prudent).

Any feedback or input for how to get this to work would be appreciated.

I went ahead and created a simple CSS for the main template because I couldn't wait on my live site, but I'd still like to know if there is a way to use XARA for this.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I think you are asking too many questions in one post and topic Steve. No-one has the time to understand then answer them all.

Happy to help out with one question per topic/thread though.

OK... will re-post each question in it's own topic.

Sorry for the inconvenience...