Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Currently selected layer (suggestion)

I work, almost exclusively, on multi-layer documents; creating objects on the various layers as well as pasting from external sources (other xar files, photos, text and so on).

Whilst in the throes of creative fever , I often forget which layer is currently selected and end up pasting to the wrong one.

It occurred to me that it would be really helpful to know which layer is currently selected without going back and forth to the layer gallery.

So, how about the displaying the name of the currently selected layer in the status bar and to get really funky, whether it's locked or not?

Any takers?

XDP7
    -- Bob

Default Re: Currently selected layer (suggestion)

Bob - A picture is worth... etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	status line.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	82246  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Bob - A picture is worth... etc.
    Gary, it's not often you're wrong but, you're right again. However, this just tells you what layer the rectangle is on, not which layer is currently the selected layer.

I'm also thinking about when nothing is selected, as is often the case when pasting, dragging and dropping etc. There's no indication (except in the layers gallery) which layer is currently selected. This not a big deal if you keep the layers gallery open all the time, just a glance is enough. But, screen real estate junkies like myself seldom have it permanently in view.

It's not a big issue, laziness aside, but I think it would be a handy and helpful indicator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selectedlayer.gif 
Views:	128 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	82247  
    Last edited by stratocast; 07 June 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added piccy and further clarification
    -- Bob

another real-estate junkie agrees with you
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Bob - All kidding aside, I totally agree. More times that I care to admit I preview a site I am working with only to realize that all of my content is on another layer. I small identifier on the infobar would be great.

I have the same issue, Bob and I think showing the current layer name, close to where the default fill and line colors icon is located in the taskbar would be helpful.

Also, my gripe with the Page and Layers gallery is that the icons for a layer's: visibility, lock, current layer, etc., can be far to the right of the layer'a name and it is difficult picking the respective icons of a layer ... they need to be directly adjacent to Layer name (ie., directly to the left of them).

Personally, I would like to have the current layer name always high-lighted, similar to what is done with the mouse-over buttons.
    Last edited by jclements; 13 June 2011 at 02:20 AM.

I'll throw my vote in too: Aye!
    (if nothing else, to keep up with this thread)
    Tom - Hwy101