Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: planter

Jens, that demo seemed very slick - and fast! Can the system handle tree-like structure organization of posts? I agree that the current TalkGraphics/InfoPop system sucks - especially the lack of "trees" and the cumbersome maneuvering across multi-page topics to see new posts - I hate that! What a brain-dead system - a horrible time-waster! I sure hope Xara will take a closer look at your setup.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Oh crumbs, oh no, think this might be the last thing I ever post here...

Jens

I'm absolutely mortified if I've been misunderstood to the extent that you thought I was having a go at you - I was agreeing with you, man!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Diatribe? If you are convinced it's a diatribe, I can't help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Course I'm convinced it was a diatribe, but it was my flaming diatribe, for heaven's sake! (Check what I said - it was 'I might have felt bad'. I, me, Peter Duggan, for dragging your thread off topic.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what do you mean with 'taking my cue from you'?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was supposed to be an acknowledgement that, if I've driven this thread off topic, it was partly in response to your own comment further up the thread about the forum software. It was supposed to express support for your views and let you know that people do care.

Now I see that someone's gone and given this thread the ultimate insult of one star, and probably because of me. (I never liked that star system anyway, and have never used it, but it's kind of ironic because my intentions were constructive as usual and my comments seemed to follow on from Ross's and your own... well, to me anyway.)

Enough said, however. It's unfortunate that so much hurt seems to have come from trying to be so helpful, but what else can I say now?

Bye

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

There. I just submitted my rating and the vote seems to have lifted the stars out of the gutter. The content of this thread is I believe important to all forum users.

I hope Thomas from Xara Ltd. will investigate InfoPop's new forum software. Maybe some of our concerns have been addressed by the latest release.

Peter - Don't worry about anything! Jens won't be giving you one of those Glasgow kisses written about in the thread on carved wood in the main forum. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Peter,

I have to apologize, but I totally misunderstood your post. But the bug was on MY end, because English is 'only' my second language out of 4 :-(

Ross,

thanks for the explanation, opening my eyes!

Klaus,

this forum software can be setup in many different ways, but to be honest, I never went too deep into the manual to be able to answer your question. In addition, there are some explanations in it that I did not understand, and I was too lazy to grab my dictionary to translate all relevant words :-)

However, it is possible to give the DC Forums the same look as this forum, and you can arrange the posts in a tree structure, but not like a navigation bar if you mean that. It's more a tab like approach like this
    -> message 1
    ---> reply
    ------> reply
    ---------> reply
    ---> reply
    ------>reply
    see what I mean? In addition you have the choice to display the first 180 chararcter of a message in the header. Of course you can add a rating system as well, and the USER can determine to collapse the tree or not.

Here is an example I have set up a week ago for a customer:

http://www.bobeldridge.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

(pls don't post anything there or register - it would cause a lot of trouble for me: this is a membership site...)

But what's more important is the fact that this forum will run on the customer's server, not on a third party server.

Another important feature: the admin can broadcast alerts or important information directly from the admin page to the registered forum users.

Again, I have to apologize for getting Peters message wrong :-(

Design galore ! FIESTA !

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--