Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: planter

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Peter - Your comments make me wonder: Is Xara Ltd./Talkgraphics.com paying for the bandwidth? If so then maybe InfoPop doesn't care.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Here's an example:

I look at a thread with ten 50K images (by no means untypical), let the whole page load, and I can revisit it offline. Next time I'm on, it's gained another 50K image and, unless I hang around for all 550K, the whole page is ruined for offline viewing. Maybe Xara Ltd/Talkgraphics.com is being fleeced for all that unnecessary bandwidth (I dunno), but I'm sure as hell paying for it my end and that sucks big time! (To come back to one of the points of my Modems thread, I know it's a graphics site, but I wouldn't really have a problem with images of almost any size if they weren't being forced to reload from the blinking server every time. Linking to images at your site or mine by posting the appropriate HTML doesn't cause this problem, so why should uploading directly to here?)

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

PS Another thing (got me going now) - when threads have more than one page, I have to go through page 1 to get to any subsequent pages, which means that I lose the offline use of page 1 and all its images if I visit it just long enough to click on whatever page (usually the latest) I'm looking for... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

(Even bookmarking the original page 1 and being prepared to type in the URL with a new last digit wouldn't really help here, but it would be an intolerable footer even if it did!)

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 21, 2001 at 08:16 AM.]

I've never really had a problem in these forums, everything has loaded up pretty nicely. The extent of my problems has been not being able to *tab over on a start of a new paragraph. It could possibly a hard/software problem. What kind of comp. and internet connection do each of you have? I'm on a pentium w/ Windows98. I also have Road Runner (An amazingly fast connection, no modem, all cable!) It could just have a problem with certain kinds of computers or internet connections. But it could also be the forums!! One will never know! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Oh, Ross, by the way, all you have to do when your six-year old hits escape while your replying to a message is hit Ctrl+Z. Com'on Ross, Xara instinct!! I know that button combination better than the back of my hand, God only knows I use it enough (the button combination that is)!!
    Also, if you still wanted that galaxy on a wall file, here it is, see if you can find the hidden message.

Steve Newport
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It could possibly [be?] a hard/software problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it's not! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It could just have [be?] a problem with certain kinds of computers...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it's not! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But it could also be the forums!! One will never know!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, it is the forums! I do know and it sucks! Count yourself lucky if you've got 'An amazingly fast connection, no modem, all cable', but don't let that blind you to the fact that forced reloads of every attachment from the server stink, period. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Sorry if this seems a little harsh, but fast connections your end don't excuse crap programming at the other end...

Peter</p>

Carved Wood thread:

So Gary's just posted a new image (33219 bytes, and I'm not complaining about that) but, to see the whole page (and be able to revisit it as it should be seen offline), I have to wait for 322079 bytes (28160+11095+56171+69581+18188+90293+48586) of forced downloads that should already have been cached at this end. Next time someone adds an image to that thread it'll be 355298 bytes, and for what? It pisses me off big time and it'll ultimately drive me away from these forums (jump for joy if you like), but what will Xara Ltd/TalkGraphics.com have gained from that except a dissatisfied customer?

Peter</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 21, 2001 at 10:48 AM.]

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Ross, Steve, Peter and all the others,

my question to XARA is: why do they run the talkgraphics on a third party server?

We set up the servers for our customers that the forums run on their servers. Period. No hassle, and screamingly fast on a T3. And a lot cheaper than European servers. The forum software is included in the server, only the set up is extra.

This forum set up has two problem areas: the redirecting of the pages, and the check back to the zymodules server for the banners. So actually we are talking about 3 different servers. Based on the nature of HTTP commands, one part of the packets can be send eastbound around the globe, the other one westbound around the globe - even if the servers are located in the same building.

IMHO this is the weirdest set up I've ever experienced.

And if someone from XARA should ever read this thread: you can order your server at http://highspeedweb.net (nomen est omen), and it will be set up in less than 48 hours with your choice of NT, LINUX or BSD UNIX. Prices start at US$ 99 per year incl. 50 megs if I remember it correctly.

Any questions?

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens

I might have felt bad about hijacking your 'Planter' thread for a diatribe against the forum set-up, but...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In my eyes this is a very lousy programming, and obviously no one really cares about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm taking my cue from you, and I care! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Peter,

so you can remove threads? Great, go ahead if you don't like my comments. I am not the guy who will swallow everything that's served on the Net. Diatribe? If you are convinced it's a diatribe, I can't help. I like to speak up, and I like to speak up loud. Because I've worked for more than 5 years with a large ISP. I've set up many servers with forum software, chat rooms etc. Bug free. Working great from day one.

--------//--
    I'm taking my cue from you, and I care!
    -------//--

what do you mean with 'taking my cue from you'?

Great if you care. I really appreciate it. And I press thumbs that you will be able to move something.

And if you want to learn more about the software we use for our customers:

http://www.dcscripts.com

It's sleek, stable, fast, reliable. You have the choice to activate UBB code or not.

For a demonstartion, please go to
    www.dcscripts.com/cgi-bin/demoboard/dcboard.cgi

For admin access, use
    username: admin
    password: demo

Enjoy your weekend !

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> so you can remove threads? Great, go ahead if you don't like my comments <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jens, I'm sure you've misunderstood Peter. He was refering to his regrets that your thread that was originally to be about your fine illustration has, in large part because of him, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] turned into a discussion of the forum itself. ie. regrets that your great drawing has been lost in the shuffle - the thread has already been hyjacked by the change in focus. He was appologizing to you and is not critical. He admires your willingness to take on the status quo when it sucks. I am sure of these things.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>