Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: planter

Jay, Yes very nice, very handsome.

I do agree with Steve's comment about the plant's pot. ITS THE FIRST THING THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.

Perhaps clone the pot's shape, paste on top, give it a darkish fill, and then try a vertical linear transparency which is more opaque at the bottom of the pot and more transaparent at the top.

Regards, John

Hi Jens,

I like the overall drawing. The only thing that doesn't seem exactly right is the reflection of the three spheres. I can't decide if they need to have some perspective added because of the floor angle or if simply adding some reflection of the word HANSA would make it more accurate.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

yes, I also agree with Soquili, the reflection of the spheres need to be a little more transparent so you can see the lines on the floor. If the floor is meant to be really shiny, try adding a few more whitish highlights. Nice work

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for your input. Seems I really have to work on the shadows and highlights.

BTW Steve, the palm tree is a bitmap (aaarrrgggghhh). A plain photograph taken with an old fashioned SLR, scanned, background to alpha in a png file format, then imported into in XARA. I tried to keep a similar angle for the lightning. However, it's not 3D, because in 3D I don't have too much control on the shadows (feathering, transparency).

The HANSA reflection: the reflective floor unfortunately does have almost the same color as the logo type, so I guess I need to apply some tricks for this one.

Overall: thanks for your input! It always helps to have more than 2 critical eyes on an artwork!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I downloaded Ivan's cathair brush yesterday and it downloaded as catfur.xar(1) I had to rename the file to use it.

This must be a bug in the forum.

Every file I download is like this. Using IE5.5, I right-click to save.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

It is typical of this forum software to append a (1) to file types it does not recognize. Clearly it should have recognized Jens' jpg. Why it didn't is perhaps only known to InfoPop/OpenTopic.

Sometimes when I try to post with an attachment, after identifying the file I want to attach and clicking for it to upload, I get a error message. The workaround at that point is not to continue and start over with a new reply. Instead hit the back button, re-identify the file you want, and click for upload again. I find it always works on the second time if it didn't on the first.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Ross,

------------------//--
    Instead hit the back button, re-identify the file you want, and click for upload again. I find it always works on the second time if it didn't on the first.
    ------------------//--

Wrong. I tried it and received following message: connection closed by remote server.

In my eyes this is a very lousy programming, and obviously no one really cares about it.

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

That never happens to me Jens. Life is full of mysteries but these computer related ones are more frustrating than most.

The TalkGraphics forums are, I would think, one of the very few users of InfoPop that has a emphasis on attachments. That being the case you would think they would be interested in how these forums are working. I just visited their site and I get the impression that in terms of bandwidth, the Xara forums could be one of their biggest customers. If they are asking for it (who knows?) Xara Ltd./TalkGraphics.Com should get service from InfoPop. Perhaps Xara should be encouraged to complain.

Also noted on the InfoPop site was the fact that they've released a new version of their boards. You can find info here. Still no tree structure from what I see, but it is more customizable. Some of their customers are using it now. Perhaps we will be soon???

In another thread there was talk of the humble "Esc" key. My three-year old son discovered that if he presses it while Dad is composing a reply to post - the Esc key deletes the message. There is no undo for it. Grrrrrrrrr!!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The TalkGraphics forums are, I would think, one of the very few users of InfoPop that has a emphasis on attachments.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting point, Ross! My biggest frustration with the forum software (as I've said in another thread) is the way attachments are forced to reload from the server on every visit to a thread instead of popping quickly out of my cache. I suspect the attachments feature was designed more for optional downloads (eg .xar files) than the PNGs, JPEGs and GIFs that our browsers all recognise and display!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

PS This is doubly frustrating as the images are clearly cached anyway (can see them if I revisit a thread offline), so why should I have to wait around for ones I've already seen when I'm online? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 21, 2001 at 06:03 AM.]